D-Cab Still Bad

dan the man

Not sure if you meant that his BB rate is only getting worse, but that's not true. His BB/9 lowered from 6.32 to 4.76 in 2007 and prior to 2006 it was on the way down. 2006 seems to be an aberration in the BB department. Not that is BB rate is not still problematic, but it's certainly not getting worse.

I keep saying this, but Cabrera's main problem is his lowering K rate (and subsequently raised hit rate) presumably due to his stuff just not moving the way it used to.

Dcab's BB/9 are as follows...

2004 - 5.4

2005 - 4.8

2006 - 6.3

2007 - 4.7

OK, so he's not getting worse like I originally said. I noticed that he threw more BB's last year but that is because he also threw more innings. That said, 2006 was such a bad year for BB's for DCab that 2007 looks like an improvement when it's really just in line with his BB/9 rate from 2005.

So while he's not getting worse, he is in no means getting better. So we're both wrong.

I don't think Cabrera is going to lower his walk rate drastically, like I said. That said I don't think he has to to be successful. But he does need to lower the hits. His stuff was way more hittable last year. Despite having a 6.3 BB/9 rate in 2006, his ERA was way lower that year than it was in 2007 when he had a BB/9 rate of 4.7.

He's got to miss those bats more often.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One inning in spring training is completely meaningless.

A career of mediocrity, however, is not. I'm not expecting much out of Cabrera this year besides innings. If he's under a 5.00 ERA I'll be happy.

DCab's mental makeup is where I think all his problems are. He just doesn't have the head to start, and in a sense, it's mental stamina he lacks. I wish to heck we tried him out in the pen a long time ago - it might be a marriage made in heaven for him and us.

It is tough to give up on him and I swear I have nightmares about trading him where somehow he clicks on another team and ravages the league. Nightmares I tell you.

I'm just saying. He's turned the corner, but right around that corner was a brick wall. I love the guy, but it's silly that we all keep thinking he's going to figure it out. He walks guys, so he puts it right down the middle to avoid walking guys, and then he gets hit. Either way, it's not working for him. Let's just hope our rebuilding prospects don't take us all for a ride on the rollercoaster for 4 or 5 years like Daniel has.

Despite his history, I can't get too upset about a bad ST outing....even from Cabrera. Who knows, maybe he was experimenting with something Krantz wanted him to try.

So-o-o....how long did it take you to learn how to ride a bicycle......once the training wheels came off? It took my brother almost 4 years because, like Cabrera, he was tall, gangly, and very uncoordinated. And, he still is....:D

Despite his history, I can't get too upset about a bad ST outing....even from Cabrera. Who knows, maybe he was experimenting with something Krantz wanted him to try.

Good guess, he was using his change up quite a bit.

Despite fooling us all with his 3 shutout innings in his first start.

It was only 3 innings, but it was hard to not get excited. Again. But now we've been let down. Again. The roller coaster begins. Again.

He's earned himself 5 runs in one inning with over 30 pitches. Well done, sir.

Why on God's green earth would anybody be surprised by now at Cabrera? He is consistently bad with once in a blue moon a shockingly good performance. Most teams would not have him on their roster. My guess only the Orioles and maybe KC. I still predict he will not be on the major league team by seasons end.

I hate the arguments that its Cabrera's head or intelligence that limits his performance. That's completely wrong. The guy is probably the hardest working guy on the team according to just about anybody within the organization.

He just lacks the ability to throw consistent strikes. Its not because he's stupid or aloof or afraid, its just not a skill he possesses, and its not a skill that can be learned.

I hate the arguments that its Cabrera's head or intelligence that limits his performance. That's completely wrong. The guy is probably the hardest working guy on the team according to just about anybody within the organization.

He just lacks the ability to throw consistent strikes. Its not because he's stupid or aloof or afraid, its just not a skill he possesses, and its not a skill that can be learned.

Oh, I think it can be learned. What cannot be learned is an arm like Cabera's. That is a gift. For some reason he simply cannot keep his mechanics consistent. I wish someone like Randy Johnson who is even taller than Cabrera could work with him. Johnson had the same problem early on only he got straightened out so it can be done.

Oh, I think it can be learned. What cannot be learned is an arm like Cabera's. That is a gift. For some reason he simply cannot keep his mechanics consistent. I wish someone like Randy Johnson who is even taller than Cabrera could work with him. Johnson had the same problem early on only he got straightened out so it can be done.
It can be improved, but I don't think pitchers can really drastically alter their ability to place a ball without sacrificing movement or velocity. Its certainly not something that anybody can do as long as they work hard enough, if it were, everybody would be Greg Maddux or Jamie Moyer.

Worst.Thread.Ever.

It won't earn that title until it's 44 pages long, there have been several fistfights, six week-long bans, 12 derailing discussions about the illegitimacy of defensive evaluation/Luis Hernandez/DIPS/VORP, and a offshoot thread dedicated to stream-of-consciousness rambling.

Dcab's BB/9 are as follows...

2004 - 5.4

2005 - 4.8

2006 - 6.3

2007 - 4.7

OK, so he's not getting worse like I originally said. I noticed that he threw more BB's last year but that is because he also threw more innings. That said, 2006 was such a bad year for BB's for DCab that 2007 looks like an improvement when it's really just in line with his BB/9 rate from 2005.

So while he's not getting worse, he is in no means getting better. So we're both wrong.

I don't think Cabrera is going to lower his walk rate drastically, like I said. That said I don't think he has to to be successful. But he does need to lower the hits. His stuff was way more hittable last year. Despite having a 6.3 BB/9 rate in 2006, his ERA was way lower that year than it was in 2007 when he had a BB/9 rate of 4.7.

He's got to miss those bats more often.

No doubt. But let's not get hysterical over a bad inning in spring training (not referring to you here). Instead look at it this way: if DCab can get his ERA into the range it was in from 2005-06, and at the same time throw 200 innings as he did in 2007, he'll be a useful pitcher. So let's see if he can do that this year, in which case his walks are an annoyance but still just a sideshow. If he can't do that, it's time to show him the door.

Archived