D-Cab Still Bad

dan the man

To take this further, since I'm bored again, looking at the table above shows that a sacrifice always decreases your expected runs scored for that inning, with the exception of a bases loaded sacrifice that advances all three runners.

I don't know how to respond to the point that a productive out is better than a non-productive walk. In hindsight that is certainly true, but most managers are, unfortunately, not given the gift of seeing the future to evaluate their decisions with hindsight before they make them. The fact, and it is a fact as shown above, is that a successful sacrifice will always decrease the expected number of runs you will score that inning (excluding the case I mentioned where three runners advance). Do that often enough, and you are taking multiple runs away from your team, which of course goes against the object of the game as you have outlined it.

A sacrifice is a good play in an extremely small fraction of situations, basically only in close and late situations, such as the game winning sac fly.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To take this further' date=' since I'm bored again, looking at the table above shows that a sacrifice always decreases your expected runs scored for that inning, with the exception of a bases loaded sacrifice that advances all three runners.

I don't know how to respond to the point that a productive out is better than a non-productive walk. In hindsight that is certainly true, but most managers are, unfortunately, not given the gift of seeing the future to evaluate their decisions with hindsight before they make them. The fact, and it is a fact as shown above, is that a successful sacrifice will always decrease the expected number of runs you will score that inning (excluding the case I mentioned where three runners advance). Do that often enough, and you are taking multiple runs away from your team, which of course goes against the object of the game as you have outlined it.

A sacrifice is a good play in an extremely small fraction of situations, basically only in close and late situations, such as the game winning sac fly.[/quote']

As I pointed out earlier on this thread, I would gladly take a Sac fly every single inning as that would give me 9 runs. Who cares about the outs made? A run per inning would make my team the best in baseball.

As I pointed out earlier on this thread, I would gladly take a Sac fly every single inning as that would give me 9 runs. Who cares about the outs made? A run per inning would make my team the best in baseball.

Yeah and all you need is a triple each inning before each one right? That shouldn't be too hard.

If you were lucky enough to be given that situation (runner on third, less than 2 outs) every single inning, you would score more total runs over the long run by NOT getting sacrifice flies. That is a fact, provable by the table already cited. It's not a matter of opinion or speculation. You may not have a run in every single inning, but you would more than make up for it with the occasional 3-4 run inning that having an extra out to work with affords you.

Yeah and all you need is a triple each inning before each one right? That shouldn't be too hard.

If you were lucky enough to be given that situation (runner on third' date=' less than 2 outs) every single inning, you would score more total runs over the long run by NOT getting sacrifice flies. That is a fact, provable by the table already cited. It's not a matter of opinion or speculation. You may not have a run in every single inning, but you would more than make up for it with the occasional 3-4 run inning that having an extra out to work with affords you.[/quote']

I am certain you are correct, but may I add that I just happen to be very fond of Sac flies as they are productive outs and too often it seems I watch other teams do this to the Orioles, especially Boston and the Yankees who are always better at situational hitting than the Orioles. I just wish the Orioles would learn how to achieve more productive outs since they cannot compete with the big sluggers on this higher payrolled teams.

But not if the runners got on base from walks, right?

Hits, Walks, it doesn't matter as long as they are of the productive variety. Otherwise they are essentially worthless other than padding stats and elevating a pitch count.

Hits, Walks, it doesn't matter as long as they are of the productive variety. Otherwise they are essentially worthless other than padding stats and elevating a pitch count.

So there is such a thing as a productive walk? Wow, you've evolved.

Ok great, we're all friends here pulling for the same cause, for the same team and wanting them to do it the same way; productively.

So there is such a thing as a productive walk? Wow, you've evolved.

What do you mean? Apparently, you have not followed the entire thread as I have consistently said I valued a productive walk just like a productive hit. It is the non-productive sort I don't value. I also made a statement that it doesn't always take skill to draw a walk but it does to hit the ball sucessfully. Apparently that is where you are confused that I don't value productive walks. That is simply not the case and I have not evolved as you put it. You just mis-interpreted my stance.

Archived