Steve Clevenger Recalled ...... Ryan Lavarnway DFA'd

OFFNY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see Dodgers claiming him. And immediately DFAing him. Maybe Arizona. Can't think of anywhere he would be an immediate upgrade over a backup catcher.

Maybe the Red Sox will take him back. Swihart and Leon have been pretty bad.

It would be nice if we could somehow shuffle Paredes around between DH, 2B, 1B, and a corner outfield spot. I do realize he hasn't played half of those positions in his career but a guy can dream I guess.

That way we could rotate Clevenger's bat in occasionally at DH and backup C.

Like other have said though, Wieters coming back in 10 days makes this a moot point.

If you want Paredes to keep hitting (and I do) I would think that he should stay at DH and not mess with him. The only reason he plays 2B is to keep his bat in the lineup when playing National League teams.

I'm glad we're making the move. I'm just a little surprised they made it. For whatever the reason, I'm assuming it's defense, Clevenger doesn't seem to be on Buck's good side. Am I imagining some rumblings last year about Clevenger not hustling something out or showing a lack of focus or something along those lines?

So we let Lavarnway bat with the game on the line twice in Miami only to DFA him a few days later?

Brilliant!

Definitely a headscratcher. I don't have any information to back this up, but this smells like a Duquette move similar to when he released Teagarden so Clevenger could get a look. I wonder if Duquette was like, "Well, if you are going to keep the back up catcher into hit with the game on the line, it might as well be one that has a chance to actually get a hit."

I was never very impressed with Lavarnway either offensively or defensively so I have no problem with this move, no matter how temporary.

I could see Dodgers claiming him. And immediately DFAing him. Maybe Arizona. Can't think of anywhere he would be an immediate upgrade over a backup catcher.

I didn't see anything in Lavarnway's game that suggests he will be a hot commodity on the open market. The guy looks a lot like a AAA guy to me.

I'm glad we're making the move. I'm just a little surprised they made it. For whatever the reason, I'm assuming it's defense, Clevenger doesn't seem to be on Buck's good side. Am I imagining some rumblings last year about Clevenger not hustling something out or showing a lack of focus or something along those lines?

The rumbling was that Clevenger questioned why he was batting so low in the lineup last year after his hit start. that got to Buck and he was soon sent back to the minors. Perhaps he's learned from that mistake. He's certainly hit down in AAA, so good for him to force his way back to the major leagues.

Buck gave him his chance. If he'd performed in one of those situations, maybe he wouldn't be DFA'd now. I don't think the decision to DFA him now bears on the wisdom of allowing him to bat against Miami. As to that decision, I guess Buck was intent on giving Caleb Joseph the day off.

Nope. Caleb PH the next inning.

Should have happened two weeks ago. He should have been at the plate in Miami rather than Lavarnway. I have no evidence either but I did make the comment in the game thread that Lavarnway would be DFAd after that fail and that this would likel be a DD move as Clevenger, for whatever reason, seems to have not been a favorite of Buck's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived