De Aza DFA

Can_of_corn

This move was long overdue. The writing was on the wall when Buck pinch hit young for him in Miami against a RHP thus leaving him with nobody to PH for Lavarnway. He's going to go unclaimed. Does he have an option of denying the minor league assignment? I think if it's their first time being DFA'd they have to accept it. Or maybe we wont even offer him one.

This move brings back a balance of IF's and OF's. I'm thinking once Hardy and Flaherty both prove they are healthy we could easily see Parmelee up for Cabrera. But for right now our defense and our lineup just got a little better. I'm glad DD is finally shaking things up. I'm over the whole offseason stuff. Can't make any promises though. DD has always shown that he will make moves in the season and I bet he purposely left himself some wiggle room in the budget to go out and make a move or two. De Aza was big for us down the stretch last year but coming into a contract year it was obvious he was willing to increase his K's for some artificial HR number.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, I knew this was coming as soon as DD let on about too many outfielders. You can't have 3 lefty, no-hit outfielders on the same damn team.

Great move.

Snider can hit, but I agree with your point. Not surprised by this move.

2014 was his worst year since becoming a regular, he's 31, and his OBP has declined four consecutive years. You'd have to get a full scouting write-up, but it's not inconceivable that he's in decline and the next number after 2.7, 2.3, 1.5... is bad.

There were signs of decline, but I don't remember anyone calling him a 0-1 win player this offseason, nor do I remember too many people being against tendering him a contract, certainly not nearly as many as were against tendering Matusz. I have always been a Lough over De Aza guy, but I don't remember everyone being this pessimistic about him.

De Aza was always a head scratcher. The FO was buzzing about Alvarez being close to ML ready. He didn't even factor into this and yet we still DFA De Aza. And we went public about not trying to avoid arbitration with De Aza, as if we had a gripe. And yet we brought in Snider. I can't make sense of it....unless the idea was throwing a few guys at the problem to see if one of them stuck...until Alvarez was ready.

That is a very effective way to deal with problems actually. The injuries made the team make up much different. And the Emergence of Paredes which no one could imagine.

Well, not today at least. Neither are in the lineup.

Hard for me to imagine Lough getting a shot right now until Snider and Pearce get their chance. Team is in a slump and now the Orioles are gonna start playing a guy they don't value offensively? Don't see it.

There is almost never a shortage of 0-1 win platoon, utility, AAAA talent at the $500k price point. I know it's hard to detach yourself from your guys in real life, but in OOTP I pretty much non-tender every Flaherty, De Aza, Young, Matusz, Brach type when they'll cost more than a couple $million.

The key is you have to be able to hustle and get those 500K guys. But I think Dan has shown that ability.

Didn't a White Sox fan tell us on here at the time of the trade, exactly what we have come to conclude for ourselves?

That's ok. I went to the S. S. Mariner to tell them that Nelson Cruz won't OPS 1.100 this season. They don't believe me either.

The sacrifice bunt when the Orioles were down 3-0 and runners on first and third and no one out. Still don't understand that play. I don't think Buck would call that with a three run deficit.

I am sure he did not.

There were signs of decline, but I don't remember anyone calling him a 0-1 win player this offseason, nor do I remember too many people being against tendering him a contract, certainly not nearly as many as were against tendering Matusz. I have always been a Lough over De Aza guy, but I don't remember everyone being this pessimistic about him.

rWAR doesn't like him as much as fWAR.

I don't think he was much of a topic of conversation over the winter since so much other stuff was going on.

That is a very effective way to deal with problems actually. The injuries made the team make up much different. And the Emergence of Paredes which no one could imagine.

It can be, but he wasn't "cheap" enough to fit that kind of mold. He's more Garrett Atkins than a Pearce, Lough, Snyder, Reimold, Urrutia or Alvarez. In other words, he's too expensive to become an expandable in May.

edit: all hindsight to be considered of course

Archived