Roch: Penn Cut

dkdc

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I didn't see Trembley's comments. But I do see Penn has 1 K in 5 IP this spring. That's not that good.

I agree, especially since by law of averages he had to face quite a few non-proven major leaguers that will not be on a ML roster.

I agree, especially since by law of averages he had to face quite a few non-proven major leaguers that will not be on a ML roster.
You know what else wasn't good, giving up a run in those 5 innings. Any real MLB pitcher would throw nothing but scoreless frames.

Trembley said publicly that he was impressed with Penn's side sessions. He said that Penn's fastball looked really nice. Of course you're free to your own opinions, but it seems like you're not paying much attention to what's been written this ST.

By the way I wouldn't say Trembley was "impressed" with Penn's FB command and movement because he was comparing what he saw to last spring.

Trembley noted that Hayden Penn has better command and movement on his fastball this spring and believes the right-hander might have been injured in camp last year and didn't tell anyone

Hey maybe he's finally healthy, but saying his command and movement is better than last year isn't saying much.

Just a hunch but I have a feelig if the trade with the Cubs actually gets made Marshall will be part of the deal coming back to us. If no trade I think we'll sign Lohse.

What about Gallagher?

Marshall is very similar to Albers but saw more success last year. I still think Albers has better pure stuff, but these two would probably yield similar numbers.

Just a hunch but I have a feelig if the trade with the Cubs actually gets made Marshall will be part of the deal coming back to us. If no trade I think we'll sign Lohse.

From what I've heard, Marshall was never even in the discussion when the BRob rumors were flying around in February. Is Marshall now getting talked about?

The kid had it all and was climbing very fast at a very young age. Back when, Leo watched him throw for 15 minutes and said, "that's a big league pitcher right there"... when he was just 21...

Since then, it's been one damn thing after another, and most of it was weird stuff that was not anybody's fault. So, howsabout if he just picks up where he left off, gets a bunch of AAA starts without pressure and without more weird stuff going on... let him get back into the groove, and then let's see. Nothing wrong with that. IMO, it seems like the best thing to do. Why not?

I'd prefer signing Lohse AND making a trade with the Cubs that doesn't include Marshall as part of the talent package back...so our net gain would be greater. Lohse + Cubs package versus Cubs Package.

Hopefully McPhail gives me a call so I can make sure he understands my advice. :D

I tend to agree with this. I really don't have a problem making Penn force his way to the big leagues by pitching well in AAA this year.

I concur as well. And I'm sure they felt he's not where he needed to be to make them confident that he's going to be ready for the rotation at the beginning of the year. I really doubt that they're down on him, at all - and if he does well at AAA, he'll be in Baltimore soon enough.

Also, on the positive side, this has to help Liz' chance of making the team. I think Burress is the favorite for the 5th spot - opening a spot for a long reliever.

Considering this board voted overwhelmingly for Penn to get the 5th spot in our rotation, I find Trembley's reasoning for this move suspect.

Wow, I find this quote ridiculous on so many levels. What, is Trembley supposed to follow the OH majority before he makes decisions? When you say "this board," remember that OH is a fan message board, not the Board of Directors of the Baltimore Orioles.

I think it's a wise decision personally. I'm a fan of Penn's, I think he still has a bright future. But he missed most of last season and didn't have enough success at the major league level to jump straight back in anyway. He needs several starts in the minors to get his head back into pitching with success. He'll be up by the end of June.

Guest rochester
Why? :rolleyes:

Following is something I wrote in July, 2007:

I believe that Penn is NOT someone that is worth waiting for...have been saying along with the caveat that I hope that I am wrong if he stays or am not wrong if he goes....

Everytime I see him I see Matt Riley...

Trade him and Cabrera...risky but worth it...

I just can not get over that deer in the headlights look.

Archived