Its a process of elimination - Roster decisions

wildcard

We started the season with 11 pending free agents. Now, we are down to 8. It wouldn't surprise me if any of Hunter, Norris, Pearce, and Wright were sent packing before season's end, leaving us with as few as 4: O'Day, Chen, Davis, and Wieters.

Almost forgot about Wright, he isn't exactly turning heads at Norfolk. You have to wonder with Drake's reverse splits if his job is in jeopardy. Also, Cabral is there.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilson down.

Gausman up.

Reimold paternity leave.

Schoop up.

The question is what happens when the paternity leave is over.

After the paternity leave you can option either Chen or Gonzo which ever will not get a start in te last series. The all star-break allows them to use the day off and three games befroe the break for 4 days. Chen is should pitch on Monday or Tuesday. If you option him after that for Reimold he can come back by Saturday or Sunday the following week to start and not miss any starts.

Almost forgot about Wright, he isn't exactly turning heads at Norfolk. You have to wonder with Drake's reverse splits if his job is in jeopardy. Also, Cabral is there.

Wright has been pretty good the last few appearences he had a rough start but turned it around. He has to be back after the break. Drake is still having control issues and I can't see him helping much if he does not get that turned around. He has 8 walks in his last 9 innings.

After the paternity leave you can option either Chen or Gonzo which ever will not get a start in te last series. The all star-break allows them to use the day off and three games befroe the break for 4 days. Chen is should pitch on Monday or Tuesday. If you option him after that for Reimold he can come back by Saturday or Sunday the following week to start and not miss any starts.

We open up with Detroit after the break, they may want to skip Chen. We play them 4 games in Baltimore later in the month which may be tricky to skip him again, though.

Have we determined if a player can replace another player on paternity leave even if they haven't been down 10 days? I think if they can then they should send Miguel down and bring him back during Nolan's time off. Then they could send out Wilson or Gausman for Schoop. Miguel would be a paper move and of my math is correct they could bring him back to pitch the last game before the break if they wanted.

Yeah I am not sure about the paternity rule. If they can bring a guy right back, they could option Gausman tonight after the start and have Schoop join the team. Then start Ubaldo Gonzo and Tilman this weekend which keeps a 7 man pen if Norris is moved there. Then after Sunday's game bring Gausman back to start on Tuesday then option him Thursday as basically a paper move until after the break. He would miss no starts that way just paper moves.

Wright has been pretty good the last few appearences he had a rough start but turned it around. He has to be back after the break. Drake is still having control issues and I can't see him helping much if he does not get that turned around. He has 8 walks in his last 9 innings.

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen the walks on Drake. I should have mentioned that. Frustrating. He would be the answer if he could just cut down on that.

Ill have to pay attention the next time Wright pitches. Thanks for posting.

We open up with Detroit after the break, they may want to skip Chen. We play them 4 games in Baltimore later in the month which may be tricky to skip him again, though.

Based on Buck's comments after the game Chen will not be skipped any the rest of the season. Though you could move him around a bit to start the second series.

Yeah I am not sure about the paternity rule. If they can bring a guy right back, they could option Gausman tonight after the start and have Schoop join the team. Then start Ubaldo Gonzo and Tilman this weekend which keeps a 7 man pen if Norris is moved there. Then after Sunday's game bring Gausman back to start on Tuesday then option him Thursday as basically a paper move until after the break. He would miss no starts that way just paper moves.

There will be some paper moves we just don't know who yet. I think what they do today will tell us their plans for Norris.

I'm not sure if this the perfect place for this, but Ed Norris was just arguing that we should have kept Delmon over Pearce.

Is there anyone else on this planet that thinks we should have done that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this the perfect place for this, but Ed Norris was just arguing that we should have kept Delmon over Pearce.

Is there anyone else on this planet that thinks we should have done that?

As far as hitting.. you could make a case for this but defensively, it's not even close. Pearce is much more valuable as he can play both corner OF positions, 1B and 2B.

There will be some paper moves we just don't know who yet. I think what they do today will tell us their plans for Norris.

I think that today is pretty easy choice Wilson down. Friday will be the big day to see if Schoop will be added to the roster.

As far as hitting.. you could make a case for this but defensively, it's not even close. Pearce is much more valuable as he can play both corner OF positions, 1B and 2B.

I agree with that, and I don't have a problem with Delmon being the odd man out. But isn't Pearce's value of versatility diminished when Schoop comes back and with having Parmalee and Davis both able to play 1st?

I think that today is pretty easy choice Wilson down. Friday will be the big day to see if Schoop will be added to the roster.

You are right. I didn't read up on what was said after the game.

Have they announced who is starting Friday and Saturday yet? The at bat app says Ubaldo on Friday. Unless my math is wrong if they skip Norris they have to start Gausman one more game because they would have nobody to pitch on the 7th.

Have they announced who is starting Friday and Saturday yet? The at bat app says Ubaldo on Friday. Unless my math is wrong if they skip Norris they have to start Gausman one more game because they would have nobody to pitch on the 7th.

Based on Bucks' comment about having a 6 men pen but 7 guys out there I think Norris is the long man today if need be. Sunday's stater has not been announced which i think is the key is Norris completely in the pen or just for today and if not needed wil start Sunday. A lot will depend on if we need a long men today and Friday IMO.

The O's announced that it'll be Ubaldo on Friday, Tillman on Saturday, and "TBD" on Sunday.

Interesting that they're not yet confirming Bud as Sunday's starter, even though it'd be his turn.

Archived