Are the Blue Jays our rivals?

Danielos38

Are the Blue Jays our rivals?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Blue Jays our rivals?

• Yes, we've developed a true rivalry with the Jays
    • Only in the sense that they're a divisional opponent.
    • No, they're not at the level of being called a "rival"

This poll is closed to new votes

The Blue Jays fans seem to think that we have developed a true rivalry. I'm curious to see how everyone here feels about that. From the Blue Jays SB Nation site http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/6/21/8821191/bullpen-giveth-and-bullpen-taketh-away-blue-jays-lose-to-orioles

Father's Day at the ballpark saw the Blue Jays face their hated rivals (we can call them that now, yeah?) the Baltimore Orioles in an afternoon tilt.

Have we developed a true rivalry? Or are the Jays fans just overreacting to a few games where tempers flared. Are they Jays just as much our rivals as the Rays? (Rivalry doesn't go beyond the fact that they're a divisional opponent). What say you?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the off-season meddling with Duquette, and the petulance of Bautista. That's it. So it's not deep-seated. Without those two things nobody would even care, because they're an utterly forgettable team.

I disagree, Baltimore has long since disliked Toronto, back to the Mussina ASG snub.

They cheat by stealing pitches in their stadium and MLB allows it.

That and they have obnoxious guys like Bautista.

I disagree, Baltimore has long since disliked Toronto, back to the Mussina ASG snub.

They cheat by stealing pitches in their stadium and MLB allows it.

That and they have obnoxious guys like Bautista.

What he is saying is that they are irrelevant. And that they are never a playoff team. Bigger fish for us to be concerned with.

What he is saying is that they are irrelevant. And that they are never a playoff team. Bigger fish for us to be concerned with.

Not sure I agree. He said if it wasnt for Bautista or their attempt to get DD, we wouldn't even care.

Division rivals, makes them relevant and the dislike goes back to Cito days.

The only answer to the poll is yes. To say otherwise is silly. To answer no, they are not at a level worthy of being called a rival, sounds SOSH like. It casually forgets and completely dismisses the years preceding DD's arrival. But, I cant. Cito Sucks shirts are still sold because people are still bitter about the All Star game in 1993. Multiple times in the last few years the Media have slotted the Jays as the team to beat in the AL East. And finally, we play 18 games against our AL East rivals an it's pretty hard to win the division without beating them all.

Oh, and they spent all winter trying to steal our GM. To me they are rivals. Slot em any way you want against the rest of the division. I love beating the Yankees and Redsox, because they are so smug and in the case of the Redsox, they have such little reason to be so. They Rays and Jays however are just as important to beat. I also however have some respect for the teams in the AL East. Yankee history, Rays for how they are run....you have to admire as a fan of the game.

I find very little to admire about Toronto. It will never feel quite the same as beating the Yankees, but its not irrelevant and it is definitely more than just a divisional opponent.

Just my 2 cents.

I enjoy watching the Yankees and the Red Sox lose, but I've taken a particular pleasure in watching the Jays fall apart after hype entering the last few seasons.

Last year we played a series early in the season at home against the Jays. I had received some awesome tickets from a friend and sat down behind home plate. There was a lone Jays fan sitting by himself with a hat and jersey on. After every hit or good play by the Jays, he would stand up and slow clap with a big smile on his face. The Jays won that game and he walked out with a smug look on his face, making sure to find eye contact and smile at as many O's fans around him as possible. I hope he had a miserable weekend watching the O's beat them in the ninth. I'll slow clap for that.

Well, from about 1989-1994, the Jays were the O's biggest rivals.

That's true. I will give you that. All I am saying is until the Jays show up SOME September, I'll treat them with the disdain that I treat all bottom dwellers. Just like I mocked us when we were absent for half that time. They are long term losers.

Are you kidding?

If you still think the Yankees and the Red Sox are our top rivals, you haven't been paying attention the last 3 years. Those games are snoozers compared to what we've got going on with the Jays.

It's good vs. evil here, folks. The Jays are the lousiest, scummiest group of villains to play the game at the same time I've ever seen in my entire life.

Bautista is a joke - the worst guy in sports I've ever seen - and Gibbons is a straight up loser. Encarnacion and Martin and Reyes are crony d-bags. And their stadium is a trash fire that should be razed.

NY and Boston? Man, who cares, honestly.

I agree with you except for your assessment of Gibbons. I think he was much worse during his first stint in Toronto, but he's been better this time around. Maybe he learned something from his first go-'round.

Archived