Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the window is already closed.

I would have kept pushing when they were close a few years ago.

I believe the only way the Orioles would have gotten Manny to sign a contract extension before free agency is if they offered him a Longoria-type extension after his rookie year. I just don't see Lozano accepting anything less than full market value after the way he got burned badly by the Pujols extension with the Cardinals a decade ago.

I believe the only way the Orioles would have gotten Manny to sign a contract extension before free agency is if they offered him a Longoria-type extension after his rookie year. I just don't see Lozano accepting anything less than full market value after the way he got burned badly by the Pujols extension with the Cardinals a decade ago.

The Longoria deal was famously under value. Rays made out like bandits.

The Longoria deal was famously under value. Rays made out like bandits.

Well, yeah. The Rays signed him to that long-term deal something like eight days after calling him up to the majors. The Orioles would have needed to pull a similar move to lock up Machado long-term. I don't see why Machado would have been willing to sign a long-term deal after 2014 when his value was at an all-time low. Maybe they could have locked him up after 2013 but it would have cost a fortune to get Machado to delay his free agency clock two or three years.

We would like to, but we have also had talks about locking up Schoop. Upside is there, and will be a lot less $ to do so.

Ship has sailed on Manny. I agree that Schoop is a good one to focus on.

In the long run, Schoop may provide more value for his position than Manny does. Power hitting second basemen are a lot more rare than third basemen with pop. Every year that Manny stays at third makes it less and less likely he will ever switch to short.

Well, yeah. The Rays signed him to that long-term deal something like eight days after calling him up to the majors. The Orioles would have needed to pull a similar move to lock up Machado long-term. I don't see why Machado would have been willing to sign a long-term deal after 2014 when his value was at an all-time low. Maybe they could have locked him up after 2013 but it would have cost a fortune to get Machado to delay his free agency clock two or three years.

Got it, I thought you were using the deal as the template and not just referring to the timing of the deal.

No chance of Manny signing a deal with anything close to the numbers Longoria signed.

I have said it before, if it was me I would have pushed hard when his leg was immobilized.

The Orioles will get Manny signed. They just need to move the talks from Duquette to PGA. We have to make this signing and there is no reason why it can not be done.

That's the problem. Angelos getting in it. He is responsible for the Davis fiasco.

That's the problem. Angelos getting in it. He is responsible for the Davis fiasco.

Indeed. It is more circumstantial evidence that there may be a rift in the FO since the Toronto debacle. To my knowledge, PA was not involved in baseball operations and gave DD full reigns to do what he felt was right

and now, PA is back to getting involved where he shouldn't be involved? Sounds like a trust issue at the very least and it doesn't seem like DD and Buck are even on the same page anymore. A divided FO would definitely

explain the offseason fiasco this year.

10/300

Who says no? The Orioles? Manny? Both? Neither?

It's hard to imagine Angelos giving a 10 year deal to anyone, but would this deal really be good for the Orioles? Machado is an excellent ballplayer, but he can't pitch and we have very little in the minors. Would it be wise

to sink all that money into one player after sinking a ton of money and years into CD and leave the pitching and minors unaddressed? Two huge contracts would handcuff us in a huge way financially at a time where we

seem to need a lot of things that we don't have.

We really will have to see how this season unfolds first and see how close or far away this team is from being championship caliber. If we are not close, then we have to decide whether Machado, Jones and Britton help

us more by staying here or by trading some or all them for a huge influx of young talent. Expecting Angelos to go 10/300 is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If Angelos has his way, we'll hold on to all three of them

and let them walk in FA, then get three players with the first round picks that amount to nothing.

Archived