Duquette - "We'll be active on the trade front." (Buyers)

TonySoprano

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to agree. I'm not sure Mancini is a top 10 prospect for Baltimore if we are including recent draftees. If Cisco isn't a catcher I don't think he's a top 100 guy, and I'd probably have him below Davies considering proximity to contribution, and maybe Reys/Wright/Givens as well.

Can you explain the high ranking of Aaron Judge relative to Mancini? Mancini has put up better numbers across the board in AA as Judge except for some BB numbers. Yet here (and elsewhere) I hear that Mancini's star isn't so bright.

I recall some discussion a few years ago about the great Nick Castellanos and how his prospect star was so much brighter than Jonathan Schoop. I even had Jim Callis of BA write in an "AskBA" article how, despite comparable stats at similar ages and a higher K rate for Castellanos, that the Tiger prospect had it all over Schoop. Yet, here we are a few years later and it is Schoop that has emerged as a far better major leaguer despite development time lost to injury.

Can you explain the high ranking of Aaron Judge relative to Mancini? Mancini has put up better numbers across the board in AA as Judge except for some BB numbers. Yet here (and elsewhere) I hear that Mancini's star isn't so bright.

I recall some discussion a few years ago about the great Nick Castellanos and how his prospect star was so much brighter than Jonathan Schoop. I even had Jim Callis of BA write in an "AskBA" article how, despite comparable stats at similar ages and a higher K rate for Castellanos, that the Tiger prospect had it all over Schoop. Yet, here we are a few years later and it is Schoop that has emerged as a far better major leaguer despite development time lost to injury.

Mostly it's power. Judge has big, big raw power that plays down some in game because of the swing. Mancini doesn't really show that club in his bag. Judge has a more patient approach and will draw walks, as well, while Mancini is a lot more aggressive. He is living off of a very good feel for the barrel and has been able to produce a consistently high BABIP through Double-A, but I think folks still don't buy into him being a plus-plus hitter against major league arms. And if he's not batting .310, the so-so on-base skillset and fringe-average power isn't that exciting at first base.

From an overall profile perspective, Judge is a decent defender with a strong arm in right; Mancini is an okay first baseman.

No, but we sure as heck weren't likely to get that performance out of De Aza last year, either. That was probably his 97th percentile level of performance.

Obviously, I was just arguing that De Aza was in fact a beast for us after we acquired him.

Mostly it's power. Judge has big, big raw power that plays down some in game because of the swing. Mancini doesn't really show that club in his bag. Judge has a more patient approach and will draw walks, as well, while Mancini is a lot more aggressive. He is living off of a very good feel for the barrel and has been able to produce a consistently high BABIP through Double-A, but I think folks still don't buy into him being a plus-plus hitter against major league arms. And if he's not batting .310, the so-so on-base skillset and fringe-average power isn't that exciting at first base.

From an overall profile perspective, Judge is a decent defender with a strong arm in right; Mancini is an okay first baseman.

I will trust the scout's take first, so thanks for that.

I see it written about Judge's raw power here and elsewhere, but Mancini has the better xbh % and slugging % at the same level (not park adjusted). And I am also wary of Judge's profile as a AA hitter striking out 25% of the time - even if he is walking more than Mancini.

Incidentally, Mancini has now walked five times in his last 10 games, versus six times in the 38 games before that. Either Mancini is showing more plate patience or he is being pitched around without IBB - probably similar to some of Judge's BBs.

I've been wrong many times before, but the stats at the same age at the same level make the large separation in prospect status between Judge and Mancini from the scouts interesting and something to watch going forward.

I will trust the scout's take first, so thanks for that.

I see it written about Judge's raw power here and elsewhere, but Mancini has the better xbh % and slugging % at the same level (not park adjusted). And I am also wary of Judge's profile as a AA hitter striking out 25% of the time - even if he is walking more than Mancini.

Incidentally, Mancini has now walked five times in his last 10 games, versus six times in the 38 games before that. Either Mancini is showing more plate patience or he is being pitched around without IBB - probably similar to some of Judge's BBs.

I've been wrong many times before, but the stats at the same age at the same level make the large separation in prospect status between Judge and Mancini from the scouts interesting and something to watch going forward.

I think mancini's slugging is heavily bolstered by BA, right? I thought Judge had a distinctly higher ISO but could very well be mistaken. In any event I'm actually not a huge Judge guy. But I also might be too slow to come around on Mancini and stuck in my opinion from my many views w ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived