If we get Ronny Cedeno, will it affect our draft?

From all indications, we are going to make a trade with the Cubs, and a name that surfaces quite often in the deal is SS Ronny Cedeno.

For the sake of this thread lets say we get Cedeno and he plays better than we expect. Now, come draft day, lets say both Smoak and Beckham are sitting pretty at our doorstep--will we bypass Beckham cause we have Cedeno? We could certainly use more power bats in our system, and Smoak, Hosmer, or Alonso could provide that. Or maybe we go with one of the stud pitchers (Crow, Matusz).

What would you guys do?

From all indications, we are going to make a trade with the Cubs, and a name that surfaces quite often in the deal is SS Ronny Cedeno.

For the sake of this thread lets say we get Cedeno and he plays better than we expect. Now, come draft day, lets say both Smoak and Beckham are sitting pretty at our doorstep--will we bypass Beckham cause we have Cedeno? We could certainly use more power bats in our system, and Smoak, Hosmer, or Alonso could provide that. Or maybe we go with one of the stud pitchers (Crow, Matusz).

What would you guys do?

If Beckham plays great again this season, I'd take him, by a hair. And I love Smoak. Cedeno doesn't change the equation in my view.

Too bad we can't have them all. :D

Beckham by a wide margin, for me. He is a legit five-tool guy (his swing generates good backspin and is likely to lead to a greatly increased ability to hit for power); all indications are he will stay at SS.

It would be a much longer wait, but the finished product could be phenominal -- truly special. Think about the impact BJ Upton had last year in his first full season. Beckham could follow the same path and end up a legit .300/25HR/35SB SS with potential for plus defense and a plus arm. Alvarez may get the nod in a heads-up, given he has already blossomed and produced at a D-I elite-conference level. I think Smoak (as a 1.5 category hitter -- power and a splash of average), and Hosmer (still primarily a power bat based mostly on projection) are each a fair amount behind both Pedro nd Tim.

Beckham by a wide margin, for me. He is a legit five-tool guy (his swing generates good backspin and is likely to lead to a greatly increased ability to hit for power); all indications are he will stay at SS.

It would be a much longer wait, but the finished product could be phenominal -- truly special. Think about the impact BJ Upton had last year in his first full season. Beckham could follow the same path and end up a legit .300/25HR/35SB SS with potential for plus defense and a plus arm. Alvarez may get the nod in a heads-up, given he has already blossomed and produced at a D-I elite-conference level. I think Smoak (as a 1.5 category hitter -- power and a splash of average), and Hosmer (still primarily a power bat based mostly on projection) are each a fair amount behind both Pedro nd Tim.

Stotle, we are sitting at #4 and both Alvarez and Smoak are there. Beckham, Matusz, and Crow are gone. Who do you pick and why? Thanks

Stotle, we are sitting at #4 and both Alvarez and Smoak are there. Beckham, Matusz, and Crow are gone. Who do you pick and why? Thanks

Not Stotle, but I would go with Alvarez. I think that Alvarez has been considered the best all around college hitter for a lot longer and if he didn't get injured this year I don't even think we could have a conversation about him being there at #4. Plus I think that we are going to make a play for Texeria after the season so having a college hitter coming through the system at a different position would be more valuable. I am not sure if Smoak could be moved to another position or not. From what I have seen of him he is a first baseman. I know some people will say, "but what if we don't get Texeria and we didn't take Smoak, wouldn't that be a mistake?" I would say no because I still think that we have a future first baseman in the system even if we don't get Texeria in Rowell. To have Weiters, Alvarez, Rowell and Snyder (hearing good things about him in the minor league reports) would really set us nicely for the future.

Alvarez. Better overall talent. When dealing with prospects, and trying to distinguish between two similar talents (say, two players within six picks, or so) I like projection, polish, flexibility, in that order. Smoak and Alvarez both look like ML hitters, and Smoak is solid defensively. Alvarez is a slightly better athlete and gives you the option of moving him to a COF spot or 3b/1b depending on how other prospects progress and what your needs are when he is ready. He'll hit for a better average and has the potential to develop into an above-average power hitter given his quick risks and simple swing mechanics. He's performed at an elite level, hitting, for a little longer than Smoak.

No way would Cedeno have any impact on the draft whatsoever. He'd be a stopgap. If he becomes a serviceable starting SS (or 2B), he'd still only have 4 years left until free agency so if we drafted and developed a great prospect we'd just trade him when he has a year or two left.

Archived