This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

I think it comes down to Angelos setting a fixed budget, and allowing little leeway in exceeding that. It certainly seems that way. I can't understand why else they'd trade small assets in what looks like an attempt to recoup a few $million.

And I'm pretty sure if we got to see the open books we would all be on the same page. Angelos has had the biggest gravy train since he bought the team. Now he just sits back and owns two teams TV deals. Well the little 15% the nats get. He has one of the top ballparks in baseball that is going to be a Wrigley or Fenway of it's generation. That he didn't have to spend a dime on. Oh and he had Cal. Has there been a luckier owner in sports. Now he has the perfect GM and manager for what he want's to spend. Buck can squeeze wins out of bad teams, and DD is so good with the little moves that he can put a competitive team on the field year in year out. I gotta put PA up there with Steven Tyler as the luckiest people in the last 50 years.

How do you luck into Cal and OPACY?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I'm pretty sure if we got to see the open books we would all be on the same page. Angelos has had the biggest gravy train since he bought the team. Now he just sits back and owns two teams TV deals. Well the little 15% the nats get. He has one of the top ballparks in baseball that is going to be a Wrigley or Fenway of it's generation. That he didn't have to spend a dime on. Oh and he had Cal. Has there been a luckier owner in sports. Now he has the perfect GM and manager for what he want's to spend. Buck can squeeze wins out of bad teams, and DD is so good with the little moves that he can put a competitive team on the field year in year out. I gotta put PA up there with Steven Tyler as the luckiest people in the last 50 years.

How do you luck into Cal and OPACY?

I'm sorry but didn't everyone at the bankruptcy auction know about Cal and OPACY?

How is that lucking into things?

I'm sorry but didn't everyone at the bankruptcy auction know about Cal and OPACY?

How is that lucking into things?

Cause he over spent on buying the team, beating out a ton of people who would have moved the team when they stunk or held Orioles fans hostage when it came to upgrades on the stadium. We're lucky to have a hometown guy vs some jerk who would have pulled a Bob Irsay and moved the team somewhere else, like Indianapolis lol.

Cause he over spent on buying the team, beating out a ton of people who would have moved the team when they stunk or held Orioles fans hostage when it came to upgrades on the stadium. We're lucky to have a hometown guy vs some jerk who would have pulled a Bob Irsay and moved the team somewhere else, like Indianapolis lol.
You're still stuck on the false narrative that MLB would have approved the team to leave? I won't bother trying to argue the logic of the contrary position with you any further.

You're still stuck on the false narrative that MLB would have approved the team to leave? I won't bother trying to argue the logic of the contrary position with you any further.

They coulda snuck out in the middle of the night……Do I like Angelos as an owner, kinda. He spent a bit in the late 90's, and spent money on the Orioles when we sucked. He just tried to be the GM, and ended up as the poor man's George Steinbrenner. He's changed since then by letting the GM's do their jobs and found a good manager in Buck; whose been the best since Davy Johnson and the team is primarily primarily being run by his son.

They coulda snuck out in the middle of the night……Do I like Angelos as an owner, kinda. He spent a bit in the late 90's, and spent money on the Orioles when we sucked. He just tried to be the GM, and ended up as the poor man's George Steinbrenner. He's changed since then by letting the GM's do their jobs and found a good manager in Buck; whose been the best since Davy Johnson and the team is primarily primarily being run by his son.

When Peter bought this team, they were drawing over THREE million per which continued through 2001 even with some bad teams.

Why would anyone buy the Orioles, break the lease and move it??? That makes no sense whatsoever. You do realize that probably 70% of the guys who own sports teams own them in places other than where they came from lol.

All the people at the auction saw the value of the Orioles as a franchise in Baltimore. Peter and his group just had better backing and more will to own the investment. Turns out PA was right as rain about that.....he stands to make an incredible return on investment.

I'm absolutely disgusted watching the Orioles right now. This SHOULD have been our year. It made perfect sense to go all in and try to win it all this year. We were 4 games away from the World Series last year with a 3rd of our lineup out. We were so close we could taste it.. instead of trying to be a winning ball club, we decided to be a cheap ball team (surprise surprise).

I understand not resigning Markakis, I understand not wanting to pay all that money for Andrew Miller... I will never understand not taking the chance with Nelson Cruz. He has been a productive hitter his whole career. He was our best player by far last year. 48 million dollars for the top power hitter in baseball is a bargain, I don't care how you look at it. Sure.. he might age and not be worth the value in year 4. What player ever is worth their entire contract these days? This was a 48 million dollar contract.. not a 200 million.

I absolutely feel that the Orioles completely punted the offseason and didnt even try. Just added insult to injury, that they let 3 of our valuable players walk and did not a thing to replace them. With all of the pending free agents looming.. this was the year if there ever was one.. now we are stuck watching this disaster beginning to unfold. I'm usually a pretty optimistic poster... but I was upset with the way our offseason went.. and its safe to see 5 or 6 DFA's later and a struggling ball team.. that I'm even more so.

I apologize for the rant, as I try not to let it get to me too much... but I've been a diehard fan my entire life pretty much and just when there is a chance to really be on top of the world...we are content with watching others be.

Buck was wrong about Clevenger. And a lot of posters jumped on the Clevenger thinks he's way better than he really is bandwagon. I love how he's hitting 5th when he was banished for saying he should be batting higher in the lineup. He was right. Buck was wrong. Instead Buck wanted Lavarnway and all the other DH types. The guy was literally a last resort this season. I really like Buck but he totally blew this one.

I wanted to sell but then again I wanted to sell in 2012.

I think I'm just tired of the construction of the current team, especially offensively. You need more than a one trick pony up and down your lineup.

All teams are flawed, but this team was just never good enough I'm afraid.

Archived