Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

I expect them to get contracts in the same range annually as Parra and probably for less years. Parra is a couple years younger than both of those guys and will be coming off a better season, so if I had to bet on it I would say he will get a bigger contract. What they are making this season is irrelevant.

Maybe so. We'll see. Prior to this year, I felt that it would take about 4/50 for Fowler. He's had a down year, not atrocious, but if OBP is your strength, you'd like to be better than .320.

Span's game is built on speed and he's had some problems with his core. Maybe he doesn't get much more than two to three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe so. We'll see. Prior to this year, I felt that it would take about 4/50 for Fowler. He's had a down year, not atrocious, but if OBP is your strength, you'd like to be better than .320.

Span's game is built on speed and he's had some problems with his core. Maybe he doesn't get much more than two to three years.

Fowler's BA is down quite a bit this season and he's still at .339 with the OBP. I don't expect him to replicate his Coors #'s from a few years back but in Camden Yards he should be good for a .750 to .775 OPS with plus defense in left. He would be my first choice of the mid-level free agents with Span as a good backup option if his physical checks out.

Fowler's BA is down quite a bit this season and he's still at .339 with the OBP. I don't expect him to replicate his Coors #'s from a few years back but in Camden Yards he should be good for a .750 to .775 OPS with plus defense in left. He would be my first choice of the mid-level free agents with Span as a good backup option if his physical checks out.

Looks like Fowler's picked it up some. He was at .320 a week ago. He was the guy I wanted this offseason.

MLB.com calls the Orioles winners, saying the Brewers didn't get enough in return. Not fans of Davies it seems.

8. Orioles: Gerardo Parra is having a big year and makes a reasonable $6 million and change. Yet, the Brewers must not have found the market that great for him. He is hitting .328, after all. One interested team even had the nerve to suggest that Milwaukee pay some of his underpriced contract. At least Baltimore is paying the freight, though pitching prospect Zach Davies doesn't quite seem like enough.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gerardo Parra has arrived and is greeting his new teammates. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Birdland?src=hash">#Birdland</a> <a href="http://t.co/Y6Klt9zTML">pic.twitter.com/Y6Klt9zTML</a></p>? Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="
">August 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's a longer version. I thought it was really cool the way he said hi to everyone. Seems really outgoing and wanting to fit in right away. Become a part of this club. Fellow Venezuelan Ubaldo was also talking to him a lot during the game.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=316143483&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

He made it in time to see Chen get hammered. Destroyed.

I was thinking that! He came in it was 2-0. quickly it was 6-0! He must be thinking what the hell??? But then we come back and win. Good game for him to watch.

He is an offensive upgrade, but here's some defensive perspective:

Parra 2015: -2.1 dWAR

Lough 2015: 1.8 dWAR (in like half the games)

I agree our offense needs help, but our pitching staff is predicated on superior defense. Just too much for a rental.

Here's hoping he sets the world on fire...

I'm not sure I believe the metrics in this case. He's 28 and a two time Gold Gliver. I'll watch him play before deciding if he's a below average defender.

Exactly.....Davies is a 4th or 5th starter tops.

1. Don't know if you can say that for certain with Davies' track record. People get too caught up in his size and lack of overpowering fastball. The kid can pitch.

2. Even if correct, six years of a no. 4-5 starter has more value than 2 months of a corner OF. So you only do this if you think Parra will be the difference between making the playoffs and not. That's highly debatable.

I was thinking that! He came in it was 2-0. quickly it was 6-0! He must be thinking what the hell??? But then we come back and win. Good game for him to watch.

I'm giving Parra the credit. He arrived, we started scoring. QED.

The line this FO is walking is not impossible to do, but right now it hinges entirely on:

1. Machado/Schoop/Jones/Gausman being an impactful offensive core that remains healthy

That's what has to happen for the next three years....

I remain uncertain enough that I can't definitively say "this is going to end badly",

I feel quite certain that if we are counting on Gausman as part of our impactful offensive core, it's going to end badly. ;)

What do ya'll think our chances are of resigning him?

Of all the outfielders headed into free agency, Parra, Upton, Rasumus, and Heyward are the only ones under 30. Parra's contract will be more similar to Rasmus than to either Heyward or Upton.

If he doesn't do well with the O's, we won't want him. If he does do well, someone else will pay him more than we will. I don't expect a two or (hopefully) three month stay here will make a difference to him. He will go where the money is.

I hope he does well. One of the talking heads on MLB Network Radio yesterday said that Parra's play this year reminded him of Nick Markakis. If his play as an Oriole reminds people of Nick, that would make Buck, his new teammates, and a lot of O's fans very happy.

Of all the outfielders headed into free agency, Parra, Upton, Rasumus, and Heyward are the only ones under 30. Parra's contract will be more similar to Rasmus than to either Heyward or Upton.

If he doesn't do well with the O's, we won't want him. If he does do well, someone else will pay him more than we will. I don't expect a two or (hopefully) three month stay here will make a difference to him. He will go where the money is.

I hope he does well. One of the talking heads on MLB Network Radio yesterday said that Parra's play this year reminded him of Nick Markakis. If his play as an Oriole reminds people of Nick, that would make Buck, his new teammates, and a lot of O's fans very happy.

Don't forget Dexter Fowler. 29 y/o plus defender that gets on base. Better track record than Parra although his numbers are down a little bit this season. A nice buy low candidate where as Parra will be a buy high guy.

1. Don't know if you can say that for certain with Davies' track record. People get too caught up in his size and lack of overpowering fastball. The kid can pitch.

2. Even if correct, six years of a no. 4-5 starter has more value than 2 months of a corner OF. So you only do this if you think Parra will be the difference between making the playoffs and not. That's highly debatable.

But he could easily not be a 4 or 5 and end up a pitcher that bounces back and fourth to AAA before being released.

Archived