Adam Loewen, former Oriole #1 pick, back in the majors as a pitcher

HoustonOrioleFan

In researching for my response on the Brian Matusz thread, I see that our former 2002 #1 pick Adam Loewen is back in the majors (Phillies) as a pitcher.

I vaguely remember his pitching injury, the position switch to outfielder and the (mild) controversy when he signed with the Blue Jays...Oh well, that long MLB career didn't pan out for him or the O's...

I thought I heard that the other day, but I assumed I was hearing voices, since Loewen had his arm fall off and turned into an outfielder. I guess we did need a datapoint on how injured pitchers perform on 1700 days rest. Not sure a team besides the Phils would have called him up, since his control appears to be about the same as it was with the Orioles in 2008-07, which was quite awful.

Also, Loewen is the only case I know of in 144 years of MLB history to pull off the double conversion from pitcher to position player back to pitcher. Almost nothing is unique in that timeframe but I can't come up with another example.

I also love the fun fact that he homered against his former team after "spiting" them by not resigning. I wonder if Flanny is looking down with a smile on his face or preparing a wisecrack. :scratchchinhmm:

Also, Loewen is the only case I know of in 144 years of MLB history to pull off the double conversion from pitcher to position player back to pitcher. Almost nothing is unique in that timeframe but I can't come up with another example.

I think it is an amazing feat and a testament to his perseverance. His major league return may not last too long, though, the way he is pitching, having allowed runs in 4 of his 7 relief appearances, including three appearances where he allowed 2 runs each time. He's only been used when the Phillies have been losing, almost exclusively in garbage time.

I think it is an amazing feat and a testament to his perseverance. His major league return may not last too long, though, the way he is pitching, having allowed runs in 4 of his 7 relief appearances, including three appearances where he allowed 2 runs each time. He's only been used when the Phillies have been losing, almost exclusively in garbage time.

Even in AAA he was walking six batters per nine.

In researching for my response on the Brian Matusz thread, I see that our former 2002 #1 pick Adam Loewen is back in the majors (Phillies) as a pitcher.

I vaguely remember his pitching injury, the position switch to outfielder and the (mild) controversy when he signed with the Blue Jays...Oh well, that long MLB career didn't pan out for him or the O's...

He's a bad penny.

Archived