How many rookies will be on the 2016 O's 25 man roster?

wildcard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If any of Alverez, Wilkins, Mancini, or Walker make the roster it wont be good because it will mean they didn't adequately fill a hole they have this winter.

Alvarez could be a part of a time-sharing arrangement at the corner outfield position where they didn't acquire a really good player. Mancini is interesting, but we need to see a lot more. Walker and Wilkins don't appear to be major leaguers.

Alvarez could be a part of a time-sharing arrangement at the corner outfield position where they didn't acquire a really good player. Mancini is interesting, but we need to see a lot more. Walker and Wilkins don't appear to be major leaguers.
What I said. Is he a 4th OF? Can he cover CF?

What I said. Is he a 4th OF? Can he cover CF?

Can't cover CF effectively. Corner OF with great arm, average range, not the greatest instincts from what I have seen. Hits is so-so. Very good when he is hot but not that good through other periods.

All the "rookie" arms will rotate through the pitching staff throughout the year. If we have a "rookie" position player we're in real trouble. We're going to see lots of young arms this year with lots of options.

I think we should rule five a back up catcher.

You really want to reprise the Geronimo Gil era? He wasn't a Rule 5er, but he hit about as well as a guy who was in the Carolina League after six seasons in the majors and was left off the 40-man.

Yeah. Pretty much. I want a real defensive expert. As a rule five.

If any of Alverez, Wilkins, Mancini, or Walker make the roster it wont be good because it will mean they didn't adequately fill a hole they have this winter.

I think that's a little extreme. Alvarez isn't a bad option as a platoon 4th outfielder--good defense and may be able to hit lefties. Mancini is unproven at AAA but he looks like the team's best hitting prospect--if he hits in spring training he could get time at 1B and DH.

If the O's want to contend on a budget, they might be better off spending more money on fewer but better players, and leaving 1-2 spots for rookies to fill--the stars and scrubs model.

I think that's a little extreme. Alvarez isn't a bad option as a platoon 4th outfielder--good defense and may be able to hit lefties. Mancini is unproven at AAA but he looks like the team's best hitting prospect--if he hits in spring training he could get time at 1B and DH.

If the O's want to contend on a budget, they might be better off spending more money on fewer but better players, and leaving 1-2 spots for rookies to fill--the stars and scrubs model.

I like the stars and scrubs model.

I like the stars and scrubs model.

I support that model too. I would rather the O's sign 2 stars and surround them with a lot of rookies and minor league contract guys than sign a bunch of Snider, De Aza, and Wright type players.

The O's don't have the budget to sign star players and surround them with experienced, good players. They are definitely going cheap in a couple of areas, one will be the bullpen, and I think the other will be one of the bullpen spots. Backup catcher might be an area they go cheap too.

Archived