How many rookies will be on the 2016 O's 25 man roster?

wildcard

Last year there was one. Rule 5 pick Jason Garcia.

This year I count 6 or 8 that have a chance.

1) Bundy either makes the team (probably as a reliever) or is on the DL.

2) Givens is almost a lock to have a spot in the pen.

3-4) Drake and Wilson have a good chance.

5) Mancini, Walker and Wilkins may be fighting for a 1B spot.

6) Alvarez has a shot with a good spring to be in the outfield in some fashion.

7) Wright has a spot at the pen though he or Wilson may be kept stretched in the rotation at AAA.

8) A Rule 5 pick is likely. Maybe a lefty handed 4th OF that has more upside than Lough.

What is your take?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically Givens, Drake, Alvarez, Wilson and Wright were all rookies in 2015. They just didnt lose their rookie eligibility.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Clearly rookie status can stretch over two seasons if:

From Cots Contracts:

Rookie Qualification

A player is a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has:

more than 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or

more than 45 days on a Major League active roster during the 25-man limit period (April-August), excluding time on the disabled list.

Last year there was one. Rule 5 pick Jason Garcia.

This year I count 6 or 8 that have a chance.

1) Bundy either makes the team (probably as a reliever) or is on the DL.

2) Givens is almost a lock to have a spot in the pen.

3-4) Drake and Wilson have a good chance.

5) Mancini, Walker and Wilkins may be fighting for a 1B spot.

6) Alvarez has a shot with a good spring to be in the outfield in some fashion.

7) Wright has a spot at the pen though he or Wilson may be kept stretched in the rotation at AAA.

8) A Rule 5 pick is likely. Maybe a lefty handed 4th OF that has more upside than Lough.

What is your take?

1 - Agree

2 - Agree

3-4 - Agree

5 - I think emphasis on "may", sure, they could be, depending on the off-season results and how they do in ST.

6 - Not sure, how strong a "shot" he has, again, depends on DD and how Alvarez does in ST.

7 - Sure, there is a chance

8 - Not sure they have room for a rule 5 pick, this season. Lough is a very good 4th OF, more of an upside with the bat can be found, then you probably lose the "plus" defense.

1 - Agree

2 - Agree

3-4 - Agree

5 - I think emphasis on "may", sure, they could be, depending on the off-season results and how they do in ST.

6 - Not sure, how strong a "shot" he has, again, depends on DD and how Alvarez does in ST.

7 - Sure, there is a chance

8 - Not sure they have room for a rule 5 pick, this season. Lough is a very good 4th OF, more of an upside with the bat can be found, then you probably lose the "plus" defense.

If Drake is minor league reliever of the year and does not get a shot, we are not thinking.

Clearly rookie status can stretch over two seasons if:

From Cots Contracts:

Rookie Qualification

A player is a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has:

more than 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or

more than 45 days on a Major League active roster during the 25-man limit period (April-August), excluding time on the disabled list.

So technically there was more than 1 rookie on the team in 2015.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If Drake is minor league reliever of the year and does not get a shot, we are not thinking.

He had a good year in 44 innings including many in Harbor Park, but Minor League Reliever of the Year doesn't mean he's a lock to be Trevor Hoffman. I'm sure they'll evaluate him and give him a reasonable shot depending on who is on the roster in March.

He had a good year in 44 innings including many in Harbor Park, but Minor League Reliever of the Year doesn't mean he's a lock to be Trevor Hoffman. I'm sure they'll evaluate him and give him a reasonable shot depending on who is on the roster in March.

I expect to see him on the Baltimore-Norfolk shuttle all season.

Some other recent minor league (or AAA) relievers of the year: Jermaine Van Buren, Rob Delaney, Rob Delaney (again), Dan Runzler, Jonathan Albaladejo, and Nick Wittgren. That's more depressing than I thought. It's almost like being named MiLB reliever of the year precludes you from having a MLB career.Nick Dan RunRo , That

Archived