Can Tillman be fixed?

wildcard

It may be the bigger question of the off season. Nick Cicere of SB Nation wrote an article about what changed with Tlllman between 2013-14 and 2015. I would like to hear comments on this article. Does the author get it right?

I think we have to understand Tillman's problem before it can be fixed. The O's may know what has be done for Tillman to be successful. I would like to understand it better.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/11/6/9679358/chris-tillman-orioles-season-review

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may be the bigger question of the off season. Nick Cicere of SB Nation wrote an article about what changed with Tlllman between 2013-14 and 2015. I would like to hear comments on this article. Does the author get it right?

I think we have to understand Tillman's problem before it can be fixed. The O's may know what has be done for Tillman to be successful. I would like to understand it better.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/11/6/9679358/chris-tillman-orioles-season-review

What bothers me more than anything is we keep hearing of the pitching philosophy of the organization. We hear it from ex players and the result speak for themselves. I'd love to see us clean house in the development area.

Fixing the OF defense will do a lot to help Tillman. The bloop killed him in the KC series. Snider gave up three runs on one play in April that were charged to Tillman. I am sure we can come up with other examples. He does not strike guys out and allows a lot of runners so the defense has to make plays.

Toronto seemed to have figured him out last year, accounting for a major chunk of his earned runs. Could have been a pitch tipping issue. O's need to examine every bit of tape to see if that can be fixed.

Then again, I feel like Tillman was pitching over his head in 2014. I don't see his ceiling getting any higher.

Fixing the OF defense will do a lot to help Tillman. The bloop killed him in the KC series. Snider gave up three runs on one play in April that were charged to Tillman. I am sure we can come up with other examples. He does not strike guys out and allows a lot of runners so the defense has to make plays.

Toronto seemed to have figured him out last year, accounting for a major chunk of his earned runs. Could have been a pitch tipping issue. O's need to examine every bit of tape to see if that can be fixed.

Then again, I feel like Tillman was pitching over his head in 2014. I don't see his ceiling getting any higher.

I'm inclined to think fixing the defense will help. But then again, wasn't the decline in defense along the lines of 30 runs? Split that over all the pitchers and that probably knocks 5(?) runs off of Tillman's total?

I'd be looking to trade Tillman. I know it's selling low but while he still has any value left at all I would like to see if the O's could get an MLB ready prospect that just needs the opportunity. Obviously we couldn't get anyone in any "top prospect" tier but if a useful player is presented I say take it and move on from Tillman.

I'd be looking to trade Tillman. I know it's selling low but while he still has any value left at all I would like to see if the O's could get an MLB ready prospect that just needs the opportunity. Obviously we couldn't get anyone in any "top prospect" tier but if a useful player is presented I say take it and move on from Tillman.

I don't see trading Tillman has a viable option. The O's need to replace Chen. If they trade Tillman then they need two starters. It will be hard for them to sign one.

So the two (or was it 3) walks to load the bases gives him a pass??

I don't see trading Tillman has a viable option. The O's need to replace Chen. If they trade Tillman then they need two starters. It will be hard for them to sign one.

There is a lot of pitching on the market this year. A guy like Tillman would be easy to replace.

So the two (or was it 3) walks to load the bases gives him a pass??

Not at all. That's exactly the problem. He is the type of guy who allows baserunners and contact. I did not think the Snider play was an error. Tillman put the guys on base and the ball was hit pretty hard. There may not be much he can do to fix it so you have to look at the defense.

Fix Tillman....Healer heal thyself!!! He came into ST way out of shape and "played" himself into shape. The guy has been around enough and should have an idea of how to fix himself and BS should throw him under the bus next year. Love or hate UJ, he came into ST in shape and took a lot of bus trips. No complaints, just did it. Maybe Tillman needs a little tough love.

Fix Tillman....Healer heal thyself!!! He came into ST way out of shape and "played" himself into shape. The guy has been around enough and should have an idea of how to fix himself and BS should throw him under the bus next year. Love or hate UJ, he came into ST in shape and took a lot of bus trips. No complaints, just did it. Maybe Tillman needs a little tough love.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Archived