Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its more like that. I suppose you could caveat that with "who doesn't have a multi-year track record of 13 K/9 and impeccable health."

Agreed.

I'm all for resigning O'Day.

His 4 year averages: 214 ERA+, 0.939 WHIP, 9.7 SO/9, 2.1 BB/9, 1.92 ERA and 66 IP/year. He's appeared in 68-69 games every single year he's been with the Orioles. Huge clubhouse presence. Very stable. Very durable. Great personality. Gives you SOME sort of veteran presence in the bullpen for a club that should for all intents and purposes let Matusz walk.

Watching how important a lights out bullpen, is a reminding on why DD trading for Miller last year, they had a serious team going on, that had a very good chance of going all the way, and they dang near did.

Exactly. They knew 2014 was a special year and they went for it. They knew that Cruz wasn't going to be brought back and that they were not going to replace him with an equivilant player for his 2014 salary. Markakis, for all his faults, was a servicable RF and they could replace him with a combination of players.

2014 will be the high mark of the Duqette Era. We need someone to come in and start over, build the farm system, international scouting and enhance minor legue scouting.

Exactly. They knew 2014 was a special year and they went for it. They knew that Cruz wasn't going to be brought back and that they were not going to replace him with an equivilant player for his 2014 salary. Markakis, for all his faults, was a servicable RF and they could replace him with a combination of players.

2014 will be the high mark of the Duqette Era. We need someone to come in and start over, build the farm system, international scouting and enhance minor legue scouting.

Starting over is what we did for fourteen years. Every couple years. I think I'll go with someone else's advice thank you.

Watching how important a lights out bullpen, is a reminding on why DD trading for Miller last year, they had a serious team going on, that had a very good chance of going all the way, and they dang near did.

I was in no way discounting what you were saying. Only the response to your rational post.

Thanks and good luck with your new team.

That's why the Orioles will not win another WS in our lifetimes. Even the fans are resigned to mediocrity. It can be done in a small market: see Kansas City. But you still need to spend, and sometimes overpay.

That's why the Orioles will not win another WS in our lifetimes. Even the fans are resigned to mediocrity. It can be done in a small market: see Kansas City. But you still need to spend, and sometimes overpay.

I'm not resigned to mediocrity, I want to go back to the ALCS. I just know that spending on FA's is not the way to do that. We need you talent. Now and over the next five seasons.

But you can't become sentimental about aging fan favorites as they start to earn too much. Otherwise, the Royals would have re-signed Billy Butler.

I'm not resigned to mediocrity, I want to go back to the ALCS. I just know that spending on FA's is not the way to do that. We need you talent. Now and over the next five seasons.

How do you know that? If that were true, I guess the FA market would be way down.

But you can't become sentimental about aging fan favorites as they start to earn too much. Otherwise, the Royals would have re-signed Billy Butler.

True, but I don't think that applies to O'Day, and did not apply to Cruz last year. If you have to overpay for the fourth year of a contract, sometimes that's what you have to do in order to enjoy the first three years.

True, but I don't think that applies to O'Day, and did not apply to Cruz last year. If you have to overpay for the fourth year of a contract, sometimes that's what you have to do in order to enjoy the first three years.

Comparing paying Cruz $57mm for four years vs. paying O'Day $21-24mm for three seems like a false equivalency to me. They aren't in the same ballpark, figuratively and literally.

Sounds to me more like an agent trying to get the O's to sign his client before the FA period. I'm sure O'Day & the O's have talked a bit of $, but it's probably a stretch to say anything 'concrete'. O'Day's contract is up. He made, what? $8.5 mill this year? He's probably looking for $10 mill a year, for 4 years. He'd be crazy not to declare FA. He'll be 34 next year; do the O's give him that kind of $$$?.....maybe......though only with Chen, Wieters & Davis gone.

O'Day only made $4.25 mm last year. He's not getting 4/$40 mm. He might get 4/$34 mm or 3/$27 mm, though. If he does, it won't be from the O's.

Archived