Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

I'm just thinking here but I am guessing for every "quality" reliever who wilted when put in the closer role the rest of us can name three that took over the job with little or no issues.

I agree - If he can Handle the 8th with 2 men on and no outs he can handle the 9th. WE could probably argue that the 8th is at times a more difficult role.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just thinking here but I am guessing for every "quality" reliever who wilted when put in the closer role the rest of us can name three that took over the job with little or no issues.

And you know that wilting in the closer role is usually just another phrase for randomly allowed a few runs in their first X games as closer, then getting labeled as a choker.

I was just thinking about Greinke (dob 10.21.1983, the week we won the WS!) and O'Day (dob 10.22.1982) in the context of being the same quality pitcher.

162-game career averages

Greinke: 207 IP, 123 ERA+

O'Day: 66 IP, 185 ERA+

He's 32% of the pitcher at 22% of the AAV for 67% of the term. Isn't he a more efficient buy in every way, for us or anyone?

Shouldn't we be encouraged by the early reports the Dodger brains were in hard, before geographical bias (gasp!) worked in our favor?

If you look at O'Day over his career he has had surprisingly great numbers not just wen he came to Baltimore. Besides his rookie year and his injury year his highest ERA was 2.28....thats what he's getting paid for

All we can do is hope he keeps it up. The good news is, pitchers like him that rely on deception, odd deliveries and control rather than just velocity profile well as they age. I think (Drungo, am I right about this?)

I'm guessing you are not.

Well, we did do a comparison between O'Day and other submariners before. Some, like Kent Tekulve, pitched well during their mid 30s while others, like Chad Bradford, fell off a cliff. So no matter the profile, we won't know until he suits up.

Well, we did do a comparison between O'Day and other submariners before. Some, like Kent Tekulve, pitched well during their mid 30s while others, like Chad Bradford, fell off a cliff. So no matter the profile, we won't know until he suits up.

I could be wrong.

My guess is that decreasing velocity is as, if not more, damaging to pitchers that have a lower baseline to start with.

Love the signing. It's what we should've done last year with Miller. Oh well, we learned. This keeps the bullpen dominant and allows us to listen to "wow" offers for Britton.

Limited no trade. Yankees are definitely trying to unload Miller. There is concern about the arm. He was as un-hittable as anyone I have seen for a bit of time while with us.

And that just happened to be the only season he was fully healthy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carry on <a href="https://t.co/jJVnqt6H12">https://t.co/jJVnqt6H12</a></p>— Bryan Mannarino (@Bohlieve83) <a href="

">December 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As I reported before, O'Day would have gotten slightly more $ from Nats per year. But Nats were 3 years and an option; O's guaranteed 4.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived