Connolly: Orioles SIGN Kim 2 - $7M (Olmos Waived & Re-Claimed by Cubs)

Yardball85

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Foreign stars don't want to be in MLB minors. So if a Kim-type can't stay up w O's he could ask out of deal & go home Minimal financial risk</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">December 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So kind of like a Rule V guy? :)

I would have no problem putting that kind of "opt out" in his contract if he has to down to the minors for longer than say, 10 days.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope the team is aware of, and making Kim aware of, the very large and vibrant Korean American community that has grown in the Ellicott City area over the past two decades. There may be an assumption that it would be easier for him and his family to experience their native culture in a West Coast locale but that's not necessarily the case.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Not to mention, OPACY is a much friendlier offensive environment than petco or O.co (other teams I have heard mentioned).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He might be concerned that he wouldn't be able to hack it in MLB.

Couldn't we try to codify something like what we did with Suk-Min Yoon into Kim's contract? Some type of mutual release/parting of ways? This would be best case scenario - protects us in a way in case he can't hack it, and protects him so he doesn't have to toil in Norfolk. I hope we broach the topic with his agent, at least.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/orioles-release-suk-min-yoon.html

Right, and he should.

Would still be embarrassing.

I doubt the O's are signing him with the thought that he's a minor leaguer at any point. A team friendly 2 year deal means they want him on the major league club.

Good signing, potentially. Minimal risk, budget friendly salary.

But it's not a few more won/dollars. It appears he would make something like 10 times his current salary. I guess the cultural differences might be enough to make some people balk at any amount of money.

I realize it would be a huge difference in $$$$, but for some, enough money is enough to live a good life. More does not necessarily mean better. I also wonder why everyone is so excited about an apparently second tier (I'm guessing) Korean player. Because he walks a lot? OBP? Because it's December?

Couldn't we try to codify something like what we did with Suk-Min Yoon into Kim's contract? Some type of mutual release/parting of ways? This would be best case scenario - protects us in a way in case he can't hack it, and protects him so he doesn't have to toil in Norfolk. I hope we broach the topic with his agent, at least.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/orioles-release-suk-min-yoon.html

The Norfolk area is an almost perfect case of immersion in 21st century American culture: 47 consecutive miles of unbearable traffic, chain resturants, Bass Pro Shops outlets, shops hawking $10 sunglasses and board shorts, and a beautiful view of the Norfolk Naval Base.

The Norfolk area is an almost perfect case of immersion in 21st century American culture: 47 consecutive miles of unbearable traffic, chain resturants, Bass Pro Shops outlets, shops hawking $10 sunglasses and board shorts, and a beautiful view of the Norfolk Naval Base.

I enjoyed my time at Norfolk and had no major issues with the traffic.

I realize it would be a huge difference in $$$$, but for some, enough money is enough to live a good life. More does not necessarily mean better. I also wonder why everyone is so excited about an apparently second tier (I'm guessing) Korean player. Because he walks a lot? OBP? Because it's December?

Potentially high value per dollar. I'm just excited because I remember when the Orioles' only sources of talent were the draft and players good teams had non-tendered because they were 37.

I doubt the O's are signing him with the thought that he's a minor leaguer at any point. A team friendly 2 year deal means they want him on the major league club.

Good signing, potentially. Minimal risk, budget friendly salary.

I love that phrase....how many "minimal risk $$$$" did the O's waste last year. Lough, Snider, Norris (probably shouldn't include him), and there are certainly others. You can spend a lot of money on low risk players for the same price as a higher, less risk player.

Archived