Wieters watch

Frobby

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2-5 for Wieters tonight, HR, single, 2 RBI

He is a beast. I saw him in person on opening night and you can just tell this guy is a beast.

One of the best prospects I have seen on the O's in a long long time. I mean even if I knew nothing about him, he just stands out when you watch him in person. Everything is under control and he gets it done.

Sorry if this has discussed before, but I'm just curious. Anyone think the O's would consider a position change for Wieters to first base? Reason being number 1, the lack of depth at that position in the minor league system, number 2 the lack of wear and tear associated with first base as opposed to catcher, and more importantly number 3, catcher is a tough position to learn defensively and could require more time to learn for Matt. He could get to the majors a lot faster if he switched to first base if his bat progresses faster than other aspects of his game, AND if say the O's fail next offseason to sign a certain first baseman from Baltimore currently playing in Georgia...:rolleyes:

Sorry if this has discussed before, but I'm just curious. Anyone think the O's would consider a position change for Wieters to first base? Reason being number 1, the lack of depth at that position in the minor league system, number 2 the lack of wear and tear associated with first base as opposed to catcher, and more importantly number 3, catcher is a tough position to learn defensively and could require more time to learn for Matt. He could get to the majors a lot faster if he switched to first base if his bat progresses faster than other aspects of his game, AND if say the O's fail next offseason to sign a certain first baseman from Baltimore currently playing in Georgia...:rolleyes:

No. We don't have depth at catcher either and being a catcher is why we gave him 6mil. He can be a great catcher but just an average 1B.

Never move a kid his age with his talent to a position that is much easier to fill. Wieters will be a dominant C. He would be a good 1B.

Never - not unless he's showing serious signs of injury. You turn him from a great prospect to a decent one with a change like that. He's reportedly at least twice the defensive prospect that Clement from Seattle and Salttamachia (sp?) from Texas are, and those organizations have been desperately clinging to the hope that they can stay catchers. Back in the day, Atlanta resisted moving phenom Dale Murphy from catcher until he was routinely throwing the ball into CF on every stolen base attempt - in the majors. But not too many catchers go on to become outstanding CFers.

It's probably been said before but one of reasons I want MW to move up to Bowie by July is due to the pitchers he will be catching. I figure Spoone, Hernandez and Tillman will all be in the show in two years and I think it would benefit the whole team if they familiarize themselves with their future catcher. It will also make it easier for MW when he first arrives in the big leagues.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Matt was a catcher in college, its not like he is learning a new position. His defense is already pretty good.

Oh, and also, many scouts have been saying that Billy Rowell will have to move to first, while Brandon Snyder is capable of playing first quite well. Also, there is Chris Vinyard (with impressive power) as an option.

To be honest, I'd consider it if come draft time both Alvarez and Beckham are off the board and Posey is still available. I'd love to have Wieters's bat at 1b/dh and Posey's bat/defense/arm behind the plate. Wieters could pull a V-Mart and split time between 1b/c and Posey could eventually take over full time.

I worry less about Posey breaking down back there since he has a smaller frame.

Archived