Nice start by Olson

Sports Guy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't have enough left-handers in the rotation.

Well, after Olson, the minors have no real LH pitching prospects until you get down to Zach Britton in Delmarva. Unless you consider the Australian, Craig Anderson, at 28 years old with a 75 mph fastball, a prospect!:)

I think Olson is rounding into form now. He had 6 BBs in his first start for Norfolk, but none this time out. I think he knows what he needs to do and will be more ready to pitch in the majors the next time he is called up.

His line so far: 10 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 11 K's, 0.90 ERA. The vast majority of his outs so far have come via K's and ground balls (2.17 GO/AO ratio). If he maintains the command he showed yesterday he'll be ready for a call-up whenever he's needed.

I hope you are right Frobby, but I do think it is a tad bit early to say that he is rounding into form...especially after his first start.

That being said, I think he is a solid third guy at the next level.

I hope you are right Frobby' date=' but I do think it is a tad bit early to say that he is rounding into form...especially after his first start.

That being said, I think he is a solid third guy at the next level.[/quote']

Other than the walks, his first start wasn't too bad - 1 R and 3 hits in 4 IP.

Excellent start for Olson. This is great news. He will be the first guy up. Can't have enough left-handers in the rotation.

I agree he is the first guy up. If he keeps it up he may even force their hand to make a spot for him in the rotation so he can get his feet wet at the MLB level. He is close to achieving all he needs at AAA to earn a shot in the O's rotation.

Definitely the first. But unless there's an emergency, leave him down there till the Break.Give him the repetitions and let him dominate at triple-A. Right now, I'd say that Albers deserves a rotation shot ahead of him, with perhaps Johnson or Burres (if he fails as a starter) taking the long relief spot.

I like this from Garrett. It seems his control has finally returned. He must have really been shook by his first appearance the bigs...I hope it is not a pattern because I think he could be effective with the right mindset.

I guess we'll keep Olson at AAA since Albers and Jim Johnson are doing well in the long relief role? Even though he's doing well and may be inline for a call up soon, we don't have a role to put him in.

This is a nice problem to have. The pitching looks like it is solidifying at every level right now.

This is a nice problem to have. The pitching looks like it is solidifying at every level right now.

I think that Aquino and Trax should be looking over their shoulder. Maybe the O's could drop them from the ML club, put JJ and Olson in a relief role, and Albers in the rotation?

Archived