What is your reaction to the signing and contract of Chris Davis

isestrex

How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?

• Absolutely terrible, I'm completely against it
    • I'm worried but Davis was a priority and at least we have something
    • Still mixed, can't decide
    • I like it a lot but I'm a little concerned about the future
    • Love it, it's not my money

This poll is closed to new votes

I think a lot of people had long-term concerns.  But more in the sense of "how will this play out  when he's in his mid-30s?" but thinking that's a bridge that would be crossed in due time.  Even given his Jekyll/Hyde performances year-to-year, he had put up an average of 3.75 WAR per season over the past four years when the extension was made. And 3 WAR the year after. I don't think many people expected it all to cave in this quickly. And since he's not hurt to our knowledge -- at least not physically -- it's even harder to imagine him getting back on track in '18 or beyond. I don't see many outcomes in which this isn't a lead-plated albatross around our necks for the next five years. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Actually, that's not true at all. Duquette if anything is over analytical. He's a very smart man. He's working in a very difficult situation but it was way back into baseball.

I was being a bit snarky there in the context of the previous posts, but I do appreciate the things he's done to improve the analytic side. He's probably limited in his approach a great deal. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's certainly done some things with trades that I would not have, but the guy is about as active as you can be watching the waiver wire and using his international money that Angelos won't let him spend for something. I really think most of the bad resignings were not really on him. Dan doesn't come off as the most sentimental guy but Buck is all about loyalty and being surrounded by his guys. Most of the resigns like Hardy, O'day, Davis and Trumbo were his guys.

Then again, I think that plays well with Angelos who I've always believed thinks the fans wants to see "fan favorites" more than wanting to win. Me, I'll trade anyone if I think I could make my team better now and in the future. 

I believe fans fall in love with players when they do well and win. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd much rather see a young hungry team developing with the potential to be a World Series caliber team someday then watching the same old team basically try and slide into the wild card and hope things go well from there.

And in that respect I would have Buck a little more like Dan. I don't think Buck would be an improvement over Dan if he transitioned to the FO.

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And in that respect I would have Buck a little more like Dan. I don't think Buck would be an improvement over Dan if he transitioned to the FO.

This is my concern.  We do not know all of the constraints on DD and it seems that if he is fired or simply allowed to leave next year...most here think Buck or Brady will slide into the role.  I just do not see any reason to think that in any way improves the club.  

DD has not been perfect, but he has been pretty damn creative in working within the constraints.  Look he has not fixed pitching long term and he deserves criticism for that...but when he really cant bid for the best guys, he is looking to catch a break.  He has on some moves like Castro, Chen Hammel, Gonzales etc...and missed on some badly like of course Ubaldo.  

But here is the thing...You want some young hot shot up and comer.  Sure let's go get one...we tried that after AM and literally no one wanted the job.  

I don't care who the GM is for the Baltimore Orioles.  I don't care who the Manager is.  I don't care who plays third base or shortstop.  I want a successful team that can compete for the World Series.  Its not that i don't like or appreciate Buck or Adam Jones, or Dylan Bundy or Manny Machado.  I do....

In short, I root for the name on the front of the Jersey not the name on the back.  

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

This is my concern.  We do not know all of the constraints on DD and it seems that if he is fired or simply allowed to leave next year...most here think Buck or Brady will slide into the role.  I just do not see any reason to think that in any way improves the club.  

DD has not been perfect, but he has been pretty damn creative in working within the constraints.  Look he has not fixed pitching long term and he deserves criticism for that...but when he really cant bid for the best guys, he is looking to catch a break.  He has on some moves like Castro, Chen Hammel, Gonzales etc...and missed on some badly like of course Ubaldo.  

But here is the thing...You want some young hot shot up and comer.  Sure let's go get one...we tried that after AM and literally no one wanted the job.  

I don't care who the GM is for the Baltimore Orioles.  I don't care who the Manager is.   

It doesn't preclude them from the process going forward. Remember, before Buck came in and changed the culture the Orioles weren't a destination for up and coming front office climbers.

Showalter and Duquette have both contributed to the fortunes of the franchise. That may be very attractive to a young hot shot up and comer. If you accept Angelos for what he is then it lessens the expectations. That the organization has improved since the hiring of Showalter only makes it more attractive for a prospective hire.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

It doesn't preclude them from the process going forward. Remember, before Buck came in and changed the culture the Orioles weren't a destination for up and coming front office climbers.

Showalter and Duquette have both contributed to the fortunes of the franchise. That may be very attractive to a young hot shot up and comer. If you accept Angelos for what he is then it lessens the expectations. That the organization has improved since the hiring of Showalter only makes it more attractive for a prospective hire.

I will not debate that there may or may not be better people to do the job than DD.  I just don't want to trade him for Buck or Brady.

I think your point is perfectly fair, but it remains to be seen if it is really an attractive position.  Your point was valid after AM was here and still nobody wanted it.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I will not debate that there may or may not be better people to do the job than DD.  I just don't want to trade him for Buck or Brady.

I think your point is perfectly fair, but it remains to be seen if it is really an attractive position.  Your point was valid after AM was here and still nobody wanted it.  

My point wasn't that it's "really attractive", just more attractive than it was prior to Duquette. McPhail did not have the success the Orioles have had the past five years. Duquette shows that even working with restraints of a meddling owner it's possible to have success. And this isn't a debate about what he inherited from AM.

• 8 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

As for the poll, I voted for the like it a lot/concerned about the future one. This is clearly an overpay based on straight risk/reward, but it's a market-valued overpay. The current value of the contract with deferrals is quite close to where I think Davis should have been valued. You can quibble with whether or not the O's should be paying market rates for a bipolar performer like Davis, but it is a reasonable contract using reasonable assumptions.

He will almost certainly have any number of poor seasons in the deal. Maybe at the tail end, maybe as soon as next year.

And if this ends up as Ryan Howard 2, Electric Boogaloo, well... we knew that was a possibility.

Poor Drungo.

Archived