What is your reaction to the signing and contract of Chris Davis

isestrex

How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Chris Davis signing and contract?

• Absolutely terrible, I'm completely against it
    • I'm worried but Davis was a priority and at least we have something
    • Still mixed, can't decide
    • I like it a lot but I'm a little concerned about the future
    • Love it, it's not my money

This poll is closed to new votes

When it comes to these ill advised long term contracts such as Davis, many Oriole fans (myself included although I never liked this deal), feel like , "hey, the money isn't coming out of my wallet so go for it."  However, in a sense, it is coming out of all our pockets as there is only so much Oriole cash to go around and now it's tied up in a .200 hitting strikeout machine for way too many years. The Orioles can not afford these kinds of failed contracts like New York or Boston can. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fla_O'sfan said:

When it comes to these ill advised long term contracts such as Davis, many Oriole fans (myself included although I never liked this deal), feel like , "hey, the money isn't coming out of my wallet so go for it."  However, in a sense, it is coming out of all our pockets as there is only so much Oriole cash to go around and now it's tied up in a .200 hitting strikeout machine for way too many years. The Orioles can not afford these kinds of failed contracts like New York or Boston can. 

No they can't. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, I guess we could put a little arsenic in his Vyvanse.     Short of that, I don't see how you get rid of him without eating at least $70-80 mm.

For the record, just kidding about the arsenic.   Kind've in bad taste but I couldn't resist.   

Would be a lot safer to spike it with Adderall.

Oh darn, one year suspension and the O's get their money back. 

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I'm surprised by all the regular posters who were in the "like it" or "love it" categories.

Some people were just happy to see that Angelos would pony up for a player he really wanted.    Some were more optimistic about Davis' future than others.   I'd say the first two years have fallen within the bottom 10% of likely outcomes - especially this year.   And nobody saw the "bat frozen on shoulder" thing coming.    That's the part that worries me the most.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some people were just happy to see that Angelos would pony up for a player he really wanted.    Some were more optimistic about Davis' future than others.   I'd say the first two years have fallen within the bottom 10% of likely outcomes - especially this year.   And nobody saw the "bat frozen on shoulder" thing coming.    That's the part that worries me the most.  

Right, I think a lot of people felt for sure that he would be an albatross around our neck in the final 2, 3, or 4 years of the contract.   But honestly, I don't think anyone anticipated a year like this year coming EARLY in the contract.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Right, I think a lot of people felt for sure that he would be an albatross around our neck in the final 2, 3, or 4 years of the contract.   But honestly, I don't think anyone anticipated a year like this year coming EARLY in the contract.

Well, there were people who pointed out his .196 season in 2014.     There was a risk that could recur.   But this year is significantly worse from an overall production standpoint.   

42 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I'm surprised by all the regular posters who were in the "like it" or "love it" categories.

42 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Eh, how do explain the poll numbers if that's the case? How about thinking period?

I'm surprised that you're surprised, really. Between Davis and Trumbo and all the people that actually wanted these contracts, the general level of "thinking" on here should be clear. :) It figures I would miss both of those polls, but was dead against both of them. It probably wouldn't look good if I voted now, though. lol

Every time anyone mentions throwing 25%+ of Angelos’ budget into a single player, I want them to watch 10 minutes of back to back replays of Chris Davis leaving the bat on the shoulder while watching strike 3.

10. Minutes. 

That goes for pitchers, hitters, human vacuum cleaners, I don’t care.

ANYONE can become an albatross through mental or physical issues of any kind, not trying, not caring, or trying but messed up mechanically. There are an infinite number of possibilities. They could become permanently disabled by a HBP on their first AB of a $300M contract. It would really suck, but that’s our luck. That’s what we should EXPECT. We should be prepared to live with the absolute worst case after spending the team’s money.

So I’m against any long term deals, obviously. Let Machado, Bundy, Schoop, etc. walk and buy players on the market who are okay to good in the present season or at least the one immediately prior.

Buy players who are playing good RIGHT NOW instead of betting that all the stars will align and we’ll get several solid seasons out of a single heroic player. It’s too risky. It’s putting all your eggs in one basket. And it doesn’t work out at least half of the time!

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The comps were there. But his indecision at the plate is troubling. Three years was what I was comfortable with them offering. He would have turned it down and we could have had an appreciation thread.

16 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I'm surprised that you're surprised, really. Between Davis and Trumbo and all the people that actually wanted these contracts, the general level of "thinking" on here should be clear. :) It figures I would miss both of those polls, but was dead against both of them. It probably wouldn't look good if I voted now, though. lol

The level of "thinking" in their support was questionable with the evidence that was available. People are enamored with the long ball.

Archived