TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

Planning on eating a contract for a guy who is changing leagues/continents before ST is even halfway over? That is particularly quick on the trigger...

The conversion rate between fan patience and GM patience is roughly 1-to-5. And that's after throwing out the opinions of those who "knew" it was a tragically insane transaction before it even happened and were ready to cut bait three months before first PA.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Planning on eating a contract for a guy who is changing leagues/continents before ST is even halfway over? That is particularly quick on the trigger...

If you read carefully, I stated that I had no opinion on the matter. I wondered, if the powers at be saw really little possibilities for Kim after ST, would they eat the contract. I certainly hope Kim works out.

If you read carefully, I stated that I had no opinion on the matter. I wondered, if the powers at be saw really little possibilities for Kim after ST, would they eat the contract. I certainly hope Kim works out.

Then simply take my post as a response to your question. I cannot see DD being nearly that quick on the trigger nor Buck pushing things in bat direction. Would they prefer he be hitting .400 in spring? Yea, I'm sure. But results thus far are far less important than approach and process in terms of getting ready for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Schmuck with not a very upbeat write up:

Kim has put his lengthy Grapefruit League hitting drought behind him, which should have come as some relief to a team that paid him $7 million to improve their overall on-base percentage for the next two years. He has not, however, done much to ease doubts about his ability to compete at this level.

Showalter has been patient and positive throughout the Orioles' second attempt to bring a successful Korean player into their talent pool. But you have to wonder how long that is going to last now that the Orioles have reached the halfway point in the exhibition season

"I've had enough people tell me that this isn't him, that he just doesn't seem to be the same guy [he was in Korea]," Showalter said. "I don't know if it's the better velocity, the better pitching …"

Which brings us back to Kim, who escaped from his long hitless streak with a pair of infield hits and a ground ball single to the outfield over the past four games. He walked and was hit by a pitch in four plate appearances Tuesday, which raised his on-base percentage to .171, but has yet to display the bat speed or plate presence that would indicate he's going to suddenly bloom into a productive major league hitter. His outfield skills also are still open to question, which would figure to be an issue for a team that might have to depend heavily on its defense to prop up an inconsistent starting rotation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-column-orioles-0316-20160315-column.html

Let's not forget that Jung Ho Kang also got off to an abysmal start and ended up being pretty good. Kim came from the same KBO Kang did. You have to remember that a fastball in the KBO is like a change up in MLB. Kim has never seen pitches as fast as he's seeing right now and on top of that, he's in a new country full of people speaking a language he doesn't understand in a culture he knows little about and has no friends other than his translator and Kang. He's having to deal with all this all while trying to adjust to a higher level of baseball. I say give him some time. I think he will be starting in left field on opening day and I'm sure the fans will be behind him at least for the first couple months anyway. I think Kim will probably be ok in the end, but we'll see.

Just for guys that like to watch videos, here's Kang's 2015 highlight reel. Kang and Kim were similar players offensively in KBO. Kim won three gold gloves in Korea and is also known for his D and Kang has one gold glove. Kim is much better than he's showing early on.

[video=youtube;XQ_SZxYByms]

Here's a couple for Kim in the KBO:

[video=youtube;01-5ug46Azo]

[video=youtube;Dd0i-M_aQSY]

The main difference here is the park Kang played in (Mokdong Baseball Stadium) was only 387ft to center field, 371 in the gaps and 322 down the line. Kim played in a much bigger park (Jamsil Baseball Stadium) which was 410 to center, 394 in the gaps and 328 down the lines. That's a pretty big difference. The gaps in Jamsil were deeper than center field in Mokdong. That's going to account for the difference in the stats. Considering how much of a hitter's park Camden Yards is, Kim could have a huge year if he can adjust to ML pitching.

The main difference here is the park Kang played in (Mokdong Baseball Stadium) was only 387ft to center field, 371 in the gaps and 322 down the line. Kim played in a much bigger park (Jamsil Baseball Stadium) which was 410 to center, 394 in the gaps and 328 down the lines. That's a pretty big difference. The gaps in Jamsil were deeper than center field in Mokdong. That's going to account for the difference in the stats. Considering how much of a hitter's park Camden Yards is, Kim could have a huge year if he can adjust to ML pitching.

Wow! Where else but the OH brings it 24/7 from Asia? :clap3: :thumbsup1:

Just for guys that like to watch videos, here's Kang's 2015 highlight reel. Kang and Kim were similar players offensively in KBO. Kim won three gold gloves in Korea and is also known for his D and Kang has one gold glove. Kim is much better than he's showing early on.

[video=youtube;XQ_SZxYByms]

Here's a couple for Kim in the KBO:

[video=youtube;01-5ug46Azo]

[video=youtube;Dd0i-M_aQSY]

Excellent. Thanks.

Buck's comments say a lot. Sounds like to me Buck wouldn't mind him going to AAA to start out.

Hope his issues are just mental and the talent is there.

I am far more worried about Buck's tepid comments about Kim than I am about his stat line so far. If the guy can't play, that's a real black mark on our Far East scouts, coming on the heels of Yoon.

I am far more worried about Buck's tepid comments about Kim than I am about his stat line so far. If the guy can't play, that's a real black mark on our Far East scouts, coming on the heels of Yoon.

I agree. Buck does not sound very confident about Kim IMO, that speaks much more loudly than his terrible at bats. But it's not like Buck has never been wrong before, he just usually isn't.

Kim and Gonzo should not be heading North.

Unless they work out an agreement with Kim, he will head north with the Orioles. If you flat out cut him, I think that the Korean Connection will be severed for quite awhile as in another potential market for prospects bites the dust.

Miguel Gonzales has an option remaining and if his next three starts have any hiccups, use it.

Sounds like one of those fantasy movies. :)

Archived