TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

I am far more worried about Buck's tepid comments about Kim than I am about his stat line so far. If the guy can't play, that's a real black mark on our Far East scouts, coming on the heels of Yoon.

Buck usually says nice things about new players. He has said Kim is somewhat overweight in January and some other not ringing endorsements. Kim a nugget?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll hold my opinions on that until spring training is over. The more important half of spring training is yet to come.

This is more inline with what the entire concept of spring training is about. Each "Potential" starter will get three starts from now until the end of ST. The "Quality" of those starts is what will determine the pecking order in who gets the "Opener", who may get skipped the first time through the rotation, and who will get sent to the bullpen or Minors.

The more interesting part is "If" the starter stumbles and uses their pitch count up in under two innings of work is who gets slated to come in as an innings eating filler. This pitcher may be the one that takes the game starters spot in the rotation IF they are effective. A perfect example is Tyler Wilson in yesterdays game. He is stretched out further than three of the potential starters and should be considered in the mix for the last spot.

I would bet that Kim just isn't comfortable yet. I still maintain we should give him at least until May to show something before we just give up on him. If he would accept going to Norfolk to get his feet under him, that's great too. Also agree about Tyler Wilson. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the rotation.

I would bet that Kim just isn't comfortable yet. I still maintain we should give him at least until May to show something before we just give up on him. If he would accept going to Norfolk to get his feet under him, that's great too. Also agree about Tyler Wilson. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the rotation.

I agree with this assessment but if Kim agrees to go to AAA, why not let him? Having him sit on bench isn't going to get his timing back, or whatever it is that everyone thinks the issue is.

Let him go to AAA and play everyday and then recall him. Having him fart around up here as a platoon player until May isn't helping us or him.

Agree on Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this assessment but if Kim agrees to go to AAA, why not let him? Having him sit on bench isn't going to get his timing back, or whatever it is that everyone thinks the issue is.

Let him go to AAA and play everyday and then recall him. Having him fart around up here as a platoon player until May isn't helping us or him.

Oh I agree. I admit I am a little confused about his contract and whether or not he can even be sent to Norfolk without going through waivers. I was under the impression that if Kim didn't make the team, he has to go back to the KBO and if sending him down isn't a possibility, I don't want to just send him back without giving him more than enough opportunity in April to get something going playing for the Orioles. I simply can't believe Kim is this bad. He might as well have been dropped off in Baltimore from a spaceship and asked to excel in this strange world against pitchers he's never seen and everything else he's going through. The guy can play. It's just a matter of him being able to relax and play his game. The shift isn't doing him any favors either.

Oh I agree. I admit I am a little confused about his contract and whether or not he can even be sent to Norfolk without going through waivers. I was under the impression that if Kim didn't make the team, he has to go back to the KBO and if sending him down isn't a possibility, I don't want to just send him back without giving him more than enough opportunity in April to get something going playing for the Orioles. I simply can't believe Kim is this bad. He might as well have been dropped off in Baltimore from a spaceship and asked to excel in this strange world against pitchers he's never seen and everything else he's going through. The guy can play. It's just a matter of him being able to relax and play his game. The shift isn't doing him any favors either.

MLB rules do not preclude him from being sent down, it's the language in his contract.

As part of the deal the Orioles agreed, in writing, to not send him down.

Way I look at it there are three options:

1- He makes the team. (by far the most likely)

2- He agrees to be sent down.

3- The O's work out some sort of buyout where they release him.

Rickard has really looked good, and he would dramatically improve our OF defense if he were to play LF. I think Kim will be ok, and get himself straightened out. But I also feel comfortable playing Rickard out there because of the glove.

We need more info on Kim. Right now, no Bueno. Having said that, I'd rather him play here than same old, same old with Reimold. BUT it makes sense to get him more at bats (and hopefully hot) in AAA, then you cut Reimold, not the other way around.

The only guy that seems like he wants a job is Marte. I love Dariel, but putrid spring so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I like Rickard a lot. I hope he can eventually be our lead-off hitter. This team really needs a tablesetter at the top of the order. The bashers need someone to drive in, after all. Rickard and Machado at 1-2 would be a nice first inning that would lead to many first inning runs, I'm sure.

Another option while Spring Training is alive and well is to have Kim DH at the Minor League Complex for a game or two and lead off every inning.

This would supposedly allow him to relax, work on his timing and pitch recognition and also keep fans off his back because the stats would NOT count.

Archived