Fangraphs: Number-Two Hitters

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-end-of-the-terrible-number-two-hitter/

If you've recently spent time with other humans, it's likely that you noticed that they tend to be overconfident about how well they understand the world around them. Think of all of the people you know who have tried to weasel their way out of admitting they were wrong even when presented with strong evidence that they had misinterpreted a situation. Humans are bold and unapologetic in their declarations and do not like it when you point out that they?ve made a serious error.

It?s hard to criticize people for that when it seems to be a pretty fundamental aspect of the species. It?s not good or bad, it simply is. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy little moments when someone makes a compelling argument and then the world totally destroys their hard work by changing around them.

In 1918 the league OPS'd .642. The 16 MLB teams hit 235 homers on the year. Total. In that environment it made sense to have a #2 hitter who'd bunt the leadoff guy over to second, on the off chance that he'd actually made it to first.

I'm sure there are other fields of endeavor where it takes 100 years to adapt to changing conditions.

Fowler S

Machado R

Jones R

Davis L

Trumbo R

Wieters S

Schoop R

Kim L

Hardy R

I don't often use the word 'swoon'... but if I did I would use it now. I love that lineup. If you wanted to alternate it more you could switch Jones/Davis and Trumbo/Wieters... depending on performance too.

Archived