Spoone 04/15/08

MDsportsfan15

Its really quite remarkable how many promising young arms we have. We're getting to the point where we're almost out of rotation spots for all of them.

When we finally get to the point where we are very confident we have a surplus, it will be time to trade an arm or two for some bats.

When we finally get to the point where we are very confident we have a surplus, it will be time to trade an arm or two for some bats.

Correct. And we don't have a surplus as long as Daniel Cabrera comes out to the mound every few days.

That's odd, the box score has been changed to show Mickolio as the pitcher instead of Spoone.

Assuming it is Spoone, 4 BBs in 5 innings is a little disappointing.

It's early, but there is at least one starter at each level off to an excellent start.

Delmarva: Mariotti

Frederick: Erbe/Arrieta

Bowie: Hernandez/Berken

Norfolk: Olson

Aside from possibly Beato, no other starter is off to a legitimately bad start.

That's odd, the box score has been changed to show Mickolio as the pitcher instead of Spoone.

It's early, but there is at least one starter at each level off to an excellent start.

Don't forget to add Spoone to Bowie's list now that he has had 2 very good starts.

Mickolio came on in relief of Spoone in the sixth, following a bizarre top of the sixth inning where a ball hit by Ryan Finan was intially called a home run only to be overturned into a ground rule double. Finan came into score on a double by Zach Dillon and Dillon scored on a sac fly by Blake Davis.

Can we stop with the Beato bashing. The guy pitched terrible his first time out and then had a very good second outing. Arrietta was great the first time out and had an outing as bad as Beato's opener in his second start but he is worthy of making your great start list? Not really fair.

Beato strikes me as a kid that is going to need a bit more development time but from everything I have read his stuff is as good as anyone in the system. His problem seems to be poor pitch selection. He can fix that with more experience. Not all pitchers come out of the gate like Arrietta. He has not lived up to the 1st round billing yet but he is not a bust by any means not that you were suggesting that but it is not fair to say he was off to a bad start due to one bad start. Give him time.

I just worry that people are sleeping on this kid a bit because we have so many other good pitchers that are figuring it out quicker.

Can we stop with the Beato bashing. The guy pitched terrible his first time out and then had a very good second outing. Arrietta was great the first time out and had an outing as bad as Beato's opener in his second start but he is worthy of making your great start list? Not really fair.

Beato strikes me as a kid that is going to need a bit more development time but from everything I have read his stuff is as good as anyone in the system. His problem seems to be poor pitch selection. He can fix that with more experience. Not all pitchers come out of the gate like Arrietta. He has not lived up to the 1st round billing yet but he is not a bust by any means not that you were suggesting that but it is not fair to say he was off to a bad start due to one bad start. Give him time.

I just worry that people are sleeping on this kid a bit because we have so many other good pitchers that are figuring it out quicker.

Relax, I'm not trying to attack Beato.

Based on some of the numbers I track (K/BB and GB% being the most important), Beato is having the worst start of any minor leaguer starter in the Orioles organization.

The fact that he's last reflects more on how good everyone else has been more than how bad Beato has been.

I expect his numbers to improve, and his first two starts have almost no bearing on what I think of him as a prospect.

As dkdc explained...stating the fact that Beato's off to a terrible start isn't bashing.

Nobody is going to sleep on him, trust me. He's still under the microscope within the organization and his development will continue to be pushed.

Archived