Spoone 04/15/08

MDsportsfan15

That's odd, the box score has been changed to show Mickolio as the pitcher instead of Spoone.

Assuming it is Spoone, 4 BBs in 5 innings is a little disappointing.

It's early, but there is at least one starter at each level off to an excellent start.

Delmarva: Mariotti

Frederick: Erbe/Arrieta

Bowie: Hernandez/Berken

Norfolk: Olson

Aside from possibly Beato, no other starter is off to a legitimately bad start.

I think Radhames Liz start to the year qualifies as bad.

It's nice that we have multiple pitching prospects, but I think that we still have to temper expectations a bit. Some guys will get hurt, some won't get over their control issues, some won't have the stuff to get big league hitters out, etc. And with the prospects that do make it to the majors, it will likely take time for them to establish themselves.

For example, back in 2005/2006, I was hoping that we would have a very strong rotation by 2008 that featured Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, and Penn. I also had some hope for John Maine as well.

Bedard panned out but we're still obviously waiting on Cabrera, Loewen and Penn.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of respect Brad Bergesen gets on this board. He has been as good as anyone at Frederick. But, shouldn't we wait a few weeks before excitement or disappointment sets in on any of these players?

I am constantly amazed at the lack of respect Brad Bergesen gets on this board. He has been as good as anyone at Frederick. But, shouldn't we wait a few weeks before excitement or disappointment sets in on any of these players?

I started following him last year, and I think he might have to do it at AA before he convinces whatever skeptic there might be. He is doing in Fred. what he did at Delmarva last year, so its one more step of the ladder for him.

Can we stop with the Beato bashing. The guy pitched terrible his first time out and then had a very good second outing. Arrietta was great the first time out and had an outing as bad as Beato's opener in his second start but he is worthy of making your great start list? Not really fair.

Beato strikes me as a kid that is going to need a bit more development time but from everything I have read his stuff is as good as anyone in the system. His problem seems to be poor pitch selection. He can fix that with more experience. Not all pitchers come out of the gate like Arrietta. He has not lived up to the 1st round billing yet but he is not a bust by any means not that you were suggesting that but it is not fair to say he was off to a bad start due to one bad start. Give him time.

I just worry that people are sleeping on this kid a bit because we have so many other good pitchers that are figuring it out quicker.

The thing that worries me about Beato,(as of now) is that he never seems to be dominate. Even in short stretches my impression is that his games are "ok" . Just looking for the occassional "wow, great game".

That's odd, the box score has been changed to show Mickolio as the pitcher instead of Spoone.

Assuming it is Spoone, 4 BBs in 5 innings is a little disappointing.

It's early, but there is at least one starter at each level off to an excellent start.

Delmarva: Mariotti

Frederick: Erbe/Arrieta

Bowie: Hernandez/Berken

Norfolk: Olson

Aside from possibly Beato, no other starter is off to a legitimately bad start.

I had a similar reaction to this that psk170 had. There's no way that one could say that Beato is off to a "legitimately bad start". He's had two starts, and in the second one, he allowed 3 hits (2 singles and a HR) and 1 walk over 6 innings.

Also, whether he's a prospect or not, Chris Waters deserves a mention in this thread.

He's backing you up with another nice outing tonight!

Archived