Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is a personal reaction to use some of the language you did.

Did I use derogatory language toward you?

But you felt a need to do so to me.

As for defensive metrics, they may not be right, but they are a lot better than the system that said Rafael Palmeiro was the best defensive first baseman in the American League in 1999. Or a 36 year old Jeter the best shortstop.

Okay, I'll withdraw "arrogance". My apologies. I've been reading this board for more than a decade and react negatively to poster assertions that appear to speak with an expertise that the writer has no apparent reason to claim.

Okay' date=' I'll withdraw "arrogance". My apologies. I've been reading this board for more than a decade and react negatively to poster assertions that appear to speak with an expertise that the writer has no apparent reason to claim.[/quote']

But "sneering condescension" stays?

Mighty big of you.

No offense but I will stick with "He's a bad defender." Over "Despite his gold glove, current metrics combined with the eye test lead me to believe he is no longer a quality defender."

But "sneering condescension" stays?

Mighty big of you.

No offense but I will stick with "He's a bad defender." Over "Despite his gold glove, current metrics combined with the eye test lead me to believe he is no longer a quality defender."

None taken. My feelings are apparently less tender than yours. Most of us as we go through life become more gracious in the face of an apology.

Lets stay focused on the topic please.

As for Nick, I love the guy as much as some of you, and playing Monday Morning QB he would have been nice to keep, but the chances of the Orioles trading to bring him back are about the same as my chances to have dinner with Alyssa Milano.

Do we really need ten threads about Nick Markakis?

I'd be fine with it if he fell in our lap and ATL was giving him away, but I wouldn't expend any real resources trying to get him.

Has his defense declined some, sure. Is he a total disaster in RF, no. And I'm not concerned about his power either, or lack thereof. I've never been one to be obsessed with power at specific positions. If the RF doesnt mash, so be it. There's probably 150 HRs alone just coming from C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, and CF. There's plenty of HRs in this lineup. If Nick can get on base at a .350 clip with the rest of this lineup behind him, that works for me.

I'd be fine with it if he fell in our lap and ATL was giving him away, but I wouldn't expend any real resources trying to get him.

Has his defense declined some, sure. Is he a total disaster in RF, no. And I'm not concerned about his power either, or lack thereof. I've never been one to be obsessed with power at specific positions. If the RF doesnt mash, so be it. There's probably 150 HRs alone just coming from C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, and CF. There's plenty of HRs in this lineup. If Nick can get on base at a .350 clip with the rest of this lineup behind him, that works for me.

If life could be so simple.

The issue isn't that he doesn't hit many homers, so much as a risk of poor performance or decline from a lack of diversity of skills. Nick's continued employment as a major league players is almost solely tied up in his ability to get on base. He's not a plus baserunner, he's not a plus fielder, he has no power. If he has a season where his BABIP is .280 he's going to have a sub-.700 OPS and struggle to be productive, if everything else stays constant.

Homers estimate by position

1B Davis 40

3B Machado 35

CF Jones 30

C Wieters / Joseph 30 (W 20 / J 10)

DH Trumbo 25

2B Schoop 25

Hardy 15

= 200

That's not counting

Kim 10-20

Flaherty 10

D Alvarez 10-15

Reimold 3-5

Rickard 0-3

233-248

So I agree that you don't need the homers....if Bruce were to bounce back to his career average the trade would be a huge win. Some speculate hat his second half numbers were skewed by trade rumors and then the fact that he was dealt hurt his morale. He definately could be a change of scenery guy that hits big.

The issue isn't that he doesn't hit many homers, so much as a risk of poor performance or decline from a lack of diversity of skills. Nick's continued employment as a major league players is almost solely tied up in his ability to get on base. He's not a plus baserunner, he's not a plus fielder, he has no power. If he has a season where his BABIP is .280 he's going to have a sub-.700 OPS and struggle to be productive, if everything else stays constant.

But that's a lot of "ifs". The fact is, the last time anybody saw him, he had 38 doubles and got on base at a .370 clip. And I'm not a WAR guy, but for those that are, his 1.9 WAR last season would've been only behind Machado, Davis, Jones, and Joseph (oddly enough).

He's not a plus baserunner, but he's a smart baserunner, which is not insignificant.

And yes, at 32, he'll get worse, not better. But can he hold on in this role and not fall completely off the table for say, 2-3 more years? I guess I'm more optimistic than most. The last 3 years his OPS has actually improved each year.

But that's a lot of "ifs". The fact is, the last time anybody saw him, he had 38 doubles and got on base at a .370 clip. And I'm not a WAR guy, but for those that are, his 1.9 WAR last season would've been only behind Machado, Davis, Jones, and Joseph (oddly enough).

He's not a plus baserunner, but he's a smart baserunner, which is not insignificant.

And yes, at 32, he'll get worse, not better. But can he hold on in this role and not fall completely off the table for say, 2-3 more years? I guess I'm more optimistic than most. The last 3 years his OPS has actually improved each year.

Put me in the optimistic camp as well. I expect Nick's BABIP to decline this year, but I think he will hit with a bit more power now that he is a year removed from his surgery and has had a normal offseason of workouts. I think he'll be a productive player through his current contract. But he won't be an Oriole.

Archived