Orioles Final Pick Order 27 First Pick

weams

Yea, but think how nice it would have been with #14 and #28.

:) You're just going to have to accept it's gone. I think you won by a large margin the "don't give away draft" picks argument.

We still have 5 picks and I'll say 2 of those need to be solid contributors for this too be a wash.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:) You're just going to have to accept it's gone. I think you won by a large margin the "don't give away draft" picks argument.

We still have 5 picks and I'll say 2 of those need to be solid contributors for this too be a wash.

What's your definition of a "solid contributor?" As I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, the average team produces 1.3 players a year who average 1.0 rWAR or more during their first five seasons. Not all of those come from the draft -- some are international free agent signings. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/151582-Player-debuts-2011-15?p=3980622&highlight=bogaerts#post3980622

What's your definition of a "solid contributor?" As I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, the average team produces 1.3 players a year who average 1.0 rWAR or more during their first five seasons. Not all of those come from the draft -- some are international free agent signings. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/151582-Player-debuts-2011-15?p=3980622&highlight=bogaerts#post3980622

I would say my definition of 'solid contributor' is more like a 2 WAR player each year over a span of at least 4 years on the big club.

I agree with you on the international free agents. I had previously mentioned in a post (lol not going to find it and post it as you did) I believe we can mitigate the loss of the 14th pick through international signings. I know DD has said that is their strategy so I'm ok with Gallardo. With all that said I do understand the argument posed by the 'anti-QA signing' crowd.

I would say my definition of 'solid contributor' is more like a 2 WAR player each year over a span of at least 4 years on the big club.

I agree with you on the international free agents. I had previously mentioned in a post (lol not going to find it and post it as you did) I believe we can mitigate the loss of the 14th pick through international signings. I know DD has said that is their strategy so I'm ok with Gallardo. With all that said I do understand the argument posed by the 'anti-QA signing' crowd.

The O's total allotment for the international draft is a bit over 2.5M. The 14th pick in 2016 had a larger allotment by itself.

Let's see if the O's go over 2.5M. Personally I wouldn't say they took the money from the 14th pick and put it into the international market unless they spend around 4M this year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile I will be expecting Dan to trade away international slots again this year.

The O's total allotment for the international draft is a bit over 2.5M. The 14th pick in 2016 had a larger allotment by itself.

Let's see if the O's go over 2.5M. Personally I wouldn't say they took the money from the 14th pick and put it into the international market unless they spend around 4M this year.

Meanwhile I will be expecting Dan to trade away international slots again this year.

Aren't MLB draft allotments naturally going to be higher than the international draft allotments even when looking at complementary players/tools? I would imagine so since the MLB draft is still the oldest and greatest entrenched game in town.

Meaning could one suppose we could get an equivalent player value for less money?

Aren't MLB draft allotments naturally going to be higher than the international draft allotments even when looking at complementary players/tools? I would imagine so since the MLB draft is still the oldest and greatest entrenched game in town.

My point is they are saying (and Sir_loin has stated) that they are going to spend more in the international market since forfeited the #14 pick. The consequences for exceeding the spending cap is a lot less in the international market. If I recall correctly the Dodgers dropped over 20M last year, total, on the international market.

Despite their words I am expecting them to stay small time players. I am sure they will do a great job talking up the kids they sign, and maybe one will even pan out.

But they are not going to take the money from the 14th pick and plow it into the international market.

Despite their words I am expecting them to stay small time players. I am sure they will do a great job talking up the kids they sign, and maybe one will even pan out.

But they are not going to take the money from the 14th pick and plow it into the international market.

Where have we heard that is the Orioles Front Office's words? This is where we get in to trouble.

My point is they are saying (and Sir_loin has stated) that they are going to spend more in the international market since forfeited the #14 pick. The consequences for exceeding the spending cap is a lot less in the international market. If I recall correctly the Dodgers dropped over 20M last year, total, on the international market.

I think I've told you this before. I hope you're wrong on this one. :)

Where have we heard that is the Orioles Front Office's words? This is where we get in to trouble.

I never said that they said they would spend more than their allotment.

Just that if they did it would be an example of them actually using the money not spent on the 14th pick in the international market.

I think I've told you this before. I hope you're wrong on this one. :)

It seems to be very evident that the Angelos family was taught by Andy MacPhail that spending millions of dollars on Dominican 16 year old was a poor risk to return. Also support of the buscon system was a horrible exploitation of children and poor families. I suspect that has not changed.

Archived