Walker penciled in to play outfield AAA "Going to be hard with as many outfielders as we've got"

2010BUCK26

I was hoping Mancini would be the one they tried to convert. More athletic build and more likely to help us at the big league level.

Mancini has never played an inning at any position in the field other than first base throughout both his professional and collegiate careers. I don't think his playing outfield in the majors is in the cards.

Mancini said he played outfield a bit in the cape cod league. I don't know why people love to shoot this idea down so much. If he is hitting well, give him a few games out there and see how he does. Builds his value to us or as a potential trade chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mancini would probably move into the DH Role at the MLB level. Walker doesn't have that kind of bat.

I read something yesterday......maybe on Roch's site.....where Buck questioned Mancini's arm in the outfield and mentioned that of the 2, Walker would be more likely to get some looks in the OF. When talking about Mancini, he said something like "I'm not sure how his arm plays out there".

Then again, I'm pretty sure that within the same article, Buck also said they wouldn't start experimenting with either guy in the OF just yet. So.......

I'll try to find it now.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/02/wrapping-up-the-10th-day-of-workouts.html

From Roch's 2/28 article:

"Showalter has no plans to experiment with first basemen Christian Walker and Trey Mancini in the outfield.

"Not yet, no," he said. "I think you'd probably think about Walker before you'd think about Mancini out there, just from a skill set. I'm not sure Mancini's arm would play out there.

"It might be something in Norfolk. I don't think you're going to see (Walker) play in the outfield here. I'll let them think about it. We'll see what our needs are going to be. We've got a lot of outfielders that are kind of slated for that level. I think there's eight of them."

Mancini said he played outfield a bit in the cape cod league. I don't know why people love to shoot this idea down so much. If he is hitting well, give him a few games out there and see how he does. Builds his value to us or as a potential trade chip.

Why is this a thing? How much value are you going to add to a .750 OPS first baseman by showing the world he's willing to wander about in the outfield in a pinch? Do teams really pine away for player who is Nelson Cruz, just without the bat?

Archived