Wieters DL?

weams

Yeah, with his pitch framing, this is a blessing for us. Dumbest--without question--decision to offer a QO in history.

Aside from the fact that Mike Fast, the guy who started quantifying pitch framing, didn't rate him near as low as the current generation of experts who think the top framers are worth 4+ wins.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DO you know who was the person pushing for the QO in our leadership?

No, but the best guess would be Buck based on what I have read, not that that is accurate. I'm a retired profiler, so I'm just guessing. I like Matt, but in no way was that a smart baseball move. Who was going to give him a multi-year deal anything close to that?

Yeah, with his pitch framing, this is a blessing for us. Dumbest--without question--decision to offer a QO in history.

Hardly. It's better than at least one accepted QO this offseason even if you're not a huge fan on Wiet. On top of that, given the clear willingness to spend, I like Wiet and CJ better than CJ and Clev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. If we can get a good starting pitcher that might put the the team over the hump and win why not? Caleb is good enough to start every day,and this lineup would still have plenty of pop without Matt.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Also, who is dealing a SP for a catcher who hits FA after this season? Doesn't make a ton of sense.

Hardly. It's better than at least one accepted QO this offseason even if you're not a huge fan on Wiet. On top of that, given the clear willingness to spend, I like Wiet and CJ better than CJ and Clev.

My plan was not to have Clev, but add another catcher who costs much less than 15mm

No, but the best guess would be Buck based on what I have read, not that that is accurate. I'm a retired profiler, so I'm just guessing. I like Matt, but in no way was that a smart baseball move. Who was going to give him a multi-year deal anything close to that?
It was a perfectly reasonable move except in hind sight. At the time no one had ever accepted a QO and certainly no Boras client was likely to. Also I remember DD saying that Wieters had several multiyear offers that he declined for the QO.

If we were not saddled with Wieters' contract for this one season' date=' what do you think happens with our squad? Do we trade Clevenger for Trumbo? Do we spend that money on a true front line starter?[/quote']

Starters who get 15 million a year don't sign 1 year deals, generally. The O's would pay that, they just don't pay for years 5 and beyond.

Starters who get 15 million a year don't sign 1 year deals, generally. The O's would pay that, they just don't pay for years 5 and beyond.

Also, I heard Dan mention the Orioles catcher multiple times today without referring to Wieters. He also indicated that when offering Matt the QO, the Orioles were prepared to weather that if he accepted, and if he were to recover from his injuries he would be worth it.

Also, I heard Dan mention the ORioles catcher multiple times today without referring to Wieters. He also indicated that when offering Matt the QO, the Orioles were prepared to weather that if he accepted, and if he were to recover from his injuries he would be worth it.

Sounds like MW took the other sided that bet:)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters on elbow: “We’re getting to the point now where it feels as good as it did before I hurt it two weeks ago." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived