Mancini and Gunkel begin at AA. Why?

wildcard

I'm in the camp that doesn't think there is a huge difference between the two levels and guys from either level can be called up to help in Baltimore.

I don't agree with this at all. There is a huge difference between the levels for hitters, partially due to the ballpark. Look at what Walker and Alvarez did between Double A and Triple A. Their numbers were way down.

Both of these guys need to be in Triple A. I imagine for Mancini, it could be a playing time issue with Walker also there.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with John that this is a numbers thing, but honestly, I think it sends the wrong message to Mancini and the rest of the minor leaguers after his big year last year. Perhaps Mancini had a tough spring, but as one of your top prospects, I don't see why you would make him repeat a level after the numbers he put up last year. You don't block a prospect due to the Hoes', Avery's or Terdoslavich's of the world. As for Gunkel, I heard his velocity was way down this spring. Not sure if that played a factor but I'm a little surprised they are not giving him a chance in AAA.

Walker is blocking Mancini in AAA, unless Walker is injured or one of them is moving to the OF, but Norfolk already has a few OF's.

Walker was supposed to play a lot of LF in Norfolk (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-christian-walker-optioned-to-triplea-norfolk-to-be-everyday-left-fielder-20160326-story.html), despite a pretty crowded OF (Hoes, Urrutia, Avery, Alvarez, Marte).

Mancini is probably a year away from the majors. Pedro is on a one year contract. So there maybe an opening at DH.

Trumbo is also on a one year contract which may create an opening for Walker with Rickard switching to right.

I don't think anyone is blocked if the O's want to play both Walker and Mancini at Norfolk. Just don't understand what the O's are thinking with Terdoslavich.

I think they should have taken advantage of Walkes strong ST and traded him for a younger prospect. Then there's no lame excuse to not promote Mancini. Keeping him at the same level after the year he had sends bad messages - even if AAA isn't really better competition than AA.

I think they should have taken advantage of Walkes strong ST and traded him for a younger prospect. Then there's no lame excuse to not promote Mancini. Keeping him at the same level after the year he had sends bad messages - even if AAA isn't really better competition than AA.

Walker had like a .290 OBP in ST. Walker may get traded but it wont be because he had a strong ST. More like because they dont have a starting position for him anymore.

He played 52 games in Frederick last season, so it's not like he's had a full season of AA ball. This really is much ado about nothing. Some people just seem to have an agenda.

Exactly. He had 500 plate appearances at Frederick, the world won't end if he has 500 plate appearances at Bowie.

He played 52 games in Frederick last season, so it's not like he's had a full season of AA ball. This really is much ado about nothing. Some people just seem to have an agenda.

Why does there have to be an agenda to wonder why the minor league player of the year did not get a promotion? Again, it's most likely because of a numbers game and trying to keep him away from numbers deflating Norfolk, but it's an honest question in my mind from people.

Yes, I have an agenda. I would like to see what Mancini can do at AAA. That is my agenda.

Archived