Great win with so many positives; Day After reflections

Filmstudy

On his 2-run double the fact that Jones failed to go to 3rd when Manny scored was pretty bad. From the angle behind 3rd base, it looked like he had easily advanced far enough, but turned towards the outfield as Manny came home.

He was stranded at 3rd 4 batters later after a single by Trumbo advance him just to 3rd.

Things I liked:

--Davis looks very confident with the strike zone and got a lot of close calls

--Rickard (everything)

--Tillman

--7 outstanding innings from the bullpen

--Not challenging the fan tip on the foul sac fly that tied the game (O's were better off taking the out).

--The Orioles power was on full display with perhaps 4 homers lost to weather (Hardy, Jones, Davis, Schoop)

--5 walks drawn, none allowed. During the 18 consecutive winning seasons (1968-85), the O's outwalked their opponents every single season and by an average of over 100 per year.

--Trumbo taking what the defense gave him on the at bat before Wieters

--Huge clutch hit by Wieters

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Jones risk being thrown out at 3rd on a cutoff with no outs? Great point on the walks, BTW.

This is one of those baseball tradeoffs I don't like.

With 2 out, many baseball people say give up the trailing runner as an incentive for the cutoff. But it's really little incentive for the defense if there is a reasonable chance to get the runner at home. In any case, the decision is worthy of break-even analysis.

With 0 or 1 outs, there actually is a tradeoff if the throw is going to one base or another (in this case 2nd and 3rd). I like the idea that you will have no worse than either a run scored or runner at 3rd with 1 out. We're also talking about an inexperienced RF and challenging his ability to decide.

On his 2-run double the fact that Jones failed to go to 3rd when Manny scored was pretty bad. From the angle behind 3rd base, it looked like he had easily advanced far enough, but turned towards the outfield as Manny came home.

He was stranded at 3rd 4 batters later after a single by Trumbo advance him just to 3rd.

Things I liked:

--Davis looks very confident with the strike zone and got a lot of close calls

--Rickard (everything)

--Tillman

--7 outstanding innings from the bullpen

--Not challenging the fan tip on the foul sac fly that tied the game (O's were better off taking the out).

--The Orioles power was on full display with perhaps 4 homers lost to weather (Hardy, Jones, Davis, Schoop)

--5 walks drawn, none allowed. During the 18 consecutive winning seasons (1968-85), the O's outwalked their opponents every single season and by an average of over 100 per year.

--Trumbo taking what the defense gave him on the at bat before Wieters

--Huge clutch hit by Wieters

By far, the biggest surprise for me was Davis. I've never seen him have patience like that and be so willing to take a walk and on opening day, too. He struck out once, but two walks is nice. He has my attention, now

let's see if it is part of his new approach or something temporary. Schoop and Hardy both had walks too. If this is something that will last all year, our offense will get good pitches to hit all year as well. Plate discipline

changes everything with this offense and they will be less prone to streakiness and more prone to consistency. It's just one game, though. I want to see more of this. However, Jones, Machado and Alvarez were free

swinging, but even Alvarez took a walk which I do not expect to be a new theme for him. Also, I wonder if Jones really hurt himself on that swing. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if he did.

However, we got two of our runs off of Casey Fien who either didn't have his best stuff or just isn't that good. He was leaving pitches up and only throwing low 90s. Four hits and two runs came off of him. If we didn't

have to face Fien, the game may have turned out differently. We had Santana on the ropes in both of his innings and left two runners on in both innings. Wieters did get the game winning hit, but he went 1-for-5 with

two strikeouts and five men left on base. He did hit it off of Jepsen who has established himself the last two years as a very good reliever, though. The weather was also a factor before the rain came, but died down

afterwards. I am cautiously optimistic. I do hope the walks continue, though. Twins pitching overall suffered from control issues, but Pressly and May sure looked good.

I agree with you on the Jones play. I see his thinking but I don't think he hustled out of the box and in hindsight going for third is the right move. They should be going to the plate and if they don't you still have a shot at third. If his hustles out of the box and makes the aggressive move that should be a triple.

That was a fantastic rally and it started with Davis drawing the walk. I also like that Trumbo put a great swing on his ball up the middle, not trying to do too much.

- Some really nice patience shown by the O's hitters. Schoop and Hardy both walked?!? How many times has that ever happened in the same game?

- Tillman's stuff was the best I have ever seen it. He was pitching with authority yesterday and his location and movement was incredible. More please.

- Rickard sure looked like the real deal yesterday. "Real Deal Rickard?" ... eh maybe not.

- A few balls were mashed yesterday that would have went out if it wasn't raining and the wind wasn't going crazy.

- Wieters looked pretty bad all of his AB's yesterday except the last one :) (edit: I forgot that he had a nice first AB too)

More thoughts anyone?

By far, the biggest surprise for me was Davis. I've never seen him have patience like that and be so willing to take a walk and on opening day, too. He struck out once, but two walks is nice. He has my attention, now

let's see if it is part of his new approach or something temporary. Schoop and Hardy both had walks too. If this is something that will last all year, our offense will get good pitches to hit all year as well. Plate discipline

changes everything with this offense and they will be less prone to streakiness and more prone to consistency. It's just one game, though. I want to see more of this. However, Jones, Machado and Alvarez were free

swinging, but even Alvarez took a walk which I do not expect to be a new theme for him. Also, I wonder if Jones really hurt himself on that swing. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if he did.

However, we got two of our runs off of Casey Fien who either didn't have his best stuff or just isn't that good. He was leaving pitches up and only throwing low 90s. Four hits and two runs came off of him. If we didn't

have to face Fien, the game may have turned out differently. We had Santana on the ropes in both of his innings and left two runners on in both innings. Wieters did get the game winning hit, but he went 1-for-5 with

two strikeouts and five men left on base. He did hit it off of Jepsen who has established himself the last two years as a very good reliever, though. The weather was also a factor before the rain came, but died down

afterwards. I am cautiously optimistic. I do hope the walks continue, though. Twins pitching overall suffered from control issues, but Pressly and May sure looked good.

Not sure I can agree about Davis. His BB% the last three seasons:

2013 - 10.7%

2014 - 11.4%

2015 - 12.5%

Since becoming a full-timer, he's consistently shown a willingness to walk to get on base.

- Some really nice patience shown by the O's hitters. Schoop and Hardy both walked?!? How many times has that ever happened in the same game?

- Tillman's stuff was the best I have ever seen it. He was pitching with authority yesterday and his location and movement was incredible. More please.

- Rickard sure looked like the real deal yesterday. "Real Deal Rickard?" ... eh maybe not.

- A few balls were mashed yesterday that would have went out if it wasn't raining and the wind wasn't going crazy.

- Wieters looked pretty bad all of his AB's yesterday except the last one :)

More thoughts anyone?

Not sure best ever for Tilly.

However, I will agree with the Dempster on his thoughts during the rain delay.

That was better today out of the gate, then at any point in the entire last season.

Keep pitching like that, and he will be our Ace. :)

One game, but great start.

It's the pitching. If it looks like yesterday... all year. Gon b fun hon.

There is a decent chance both Wright and Wilson are serviceable major leaguers. With our lineup wins are possible.

Archived