Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Well he's been better than any of us thought, he's leading the league in homers. I wonder how many other guys see what Cruz and Trumbo have done in this lineup and this park and say let me take that one year deal so I can make a boat load of cash. Trumbo is going to get paid.

He has hit 10 @ home, and 10 on the road.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please explain why anyone would have traded Trumbo and all this power production for as little as a back up catcher.... People thought it was a salary dump, but really, this seems to be a serious miscalculation on Seattle's part. Got to give Dan credit here. This seems to be one lopsided trade.

Please explain why anyone would have traded Trumbo and all this power production for as little as a back up catcher.... People thought it was a salary dump, but really, this seems to be a serious miscalculation on Seattle's part. Got to give Dan credit here. This seems to be one lopsided trade.

It was probably both.

Seattle did need a proven MLB caliber backup and wasn't happy with what they had in their system.

I really think we've seen the best of Trumbo so when he regresses it'll be a bit less ridiculous of a deal, but the simple answer is that it was a salary dump and that the Mariners were disenfranchised with Trumbo. His trade value was at an all time low after they traded for him last season as a last ditch effort to save a the season when they had such high expectations going in. Trumbo isn't the kind of bat to save a team, but is a good bat to have in a nice, deep lineup. He went to Seattle and actually performed okay considering the park, but ended up just a bit over league average overall. He's also seen as a defensive liability and they already have a DH in Nelson Cruz. By trading Trumbo, they got arid of a redundant asset.

Added to that, was the fact that for some reason Jerry Dipoto doesn't seem to like Trumbo. Perhaps it's the low OBP historically or the poor defense.

Because historically speaking his glove in the outfield is bad enough to make up for whatever good his bat delivers.

No but he has a history of cooling off the second half. Pretty sure he'll hit 30, not so sure he hits 40. Wait til the ASB and see where he is then.

He is bound to cool off at some point. However, I think the way the ball carries in the summer in Baltimore and other East Coast cities is a bit different than in Anaheim and the other places Trumbo has played, so there's a chance he won't cool off as much as he traditionally has. Heck, before this year he'd only hit 19 homers in 99 games in June. He's got 5 already this month in 7 games. I'd take the over on 40 homers if someone put that proposition up for wager.

He is bound to cool off at some point. However, I think the way the ball carries in the summer in Baltimore and other East Coast cities is a bit different than in Anaheim and the other places Trumbo has played, so there's a chance he won't cool off as much as he traditionally has. Heck, before this year he'd only hit 19 homers in 99 games in June. He's got 5 already this month in 7 games. I'd take the over on 40 homers if someone put that proposition up for wager.

He was 40/1 to lead MLB in HR back in Feb.

It must the roids. Gotta be the roids.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well it certainly is/was/continues to be for Cruz. Trumbo is an awfully big dude naturally. But you never know I guess. Until they are caught, Like Cruz and Ortiz were.

Because he's basically a DH with a .765 career OPS? He's already been more valuable offensively this year than he was in his 2700 prior PAs combined. At thirty it's overwhelmingly likely this isn't his new normal, but a hot streak.

Just look back at the threads when he was acquired. Folks were reasonably questioning whether he was worth $9M plus Clevenger. The prior three years he was worth a total of maybe $18M in free agent terms.

What's the typical increase in HR rate through the summer in AL East parks?

Archived