Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

He probably did leave significant monies on the table but there is some uncertainly how big the money would have been considering the scar on his elbow.

To that end, we have Manny's knees.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that in the end Schoop being here, not being here, or being here under the terms of a long extension won't change the discussions with Manny one whit. Money and where he and his wife want to live will be the deciding factors.

He'll sign a massive, back-loaded contract with the Marlins and end up in New York 3 years later.

To that end, we have Manny's knees.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eh.

There is a pretty good bit of data on how TJ arms hold up.

Manny is a bit of an unusual case since his knee issues were genetic in nature and supposedly the underlying cause was fixed.

It will be unusual if Stras' arm holds up for the whole contract.

I value Machado greatly but have ZERO confidence this FO will extend him. Thus I see him being dealt to the highest bidder after next season before he enters his final walk season. That said I would hope we could start drafting and developing some quality infielders over the next three seasons who will usher in a new era starting in 2019 when Duquette and Buck are likely gone. That's how I see this playing out for now.

This team has never traded a key piece before free agency under DD. Don't see that changing. Not with the money invested in free agents last year.

I think the payroll will be there. I mean look at this team. Would we really be that bad off without Ubaldo, Gallardo, MW, Hardy and Kim? Hindsight is 20/20 but FA deals look like they hardly ever work out. The key to keeping Manny is if Bundy, Harvey, Wright, Wilson, Rickard, Walker, Mancini, and Cisco could develop into starters by that time. The more of them that succeed then the more money we will have.

What do you think he would cost if you called Oakland right now?

I haven't a clue. Zach Britton + our best prospect? Maybe two prospects?

I guess my point is, if you are in the "let's trade for a mid 20s starter" market, now would be a good time to poke the A's about how much it would take to get Gray. Unfortunately, they are not run by dummies.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot depends on what signals Machado sends over the next two years. If he shows no real interest in extending, then you owe it to your organization and fan base to make the best deal you can and start re-shaping your future. Letting Machado walk for only a draft pick would be criminal.

Even if the O's were in first place by 5 games at the deadline before his free agent season and seem poised for a World Series run?

Archived