Player Nicknames

canonfaz

In the privacy of my home, I have called Manny "Moochy" since he was a rook.

Reimold is "Yinzer" to me because of the hilarious use of that term out in Western PA - from where Nolan came. In a semi-related note: the first time that I saw the board member named "Me So Hardy", I was no good for two full innings.

Me glove you long time

NashLumber said:

Goose Gausman has a terrific ring to it.

o

Former Washington Senator, St. Louis Brown, and Detroit Tiger Goose Goslin was elected to the Hall-of-Fame in 1968 ........ and he had to leave because the hotel that he was staying at told him that his room was booked for an upcoming convention. They said that they had told him beforehand that he could only stay for one night. Plus, there were no hotel or motel vacancies within a 20-mile radius of Cooperstown. Soooooooo, he had to leave !!!

He was literally kicked out of Cooperstown on the same day that he was inducted into it. O.o

I read that in one of my brother's baseball magazines, in 1977.

o

Former Senator, Brown, and Tiger Goose Goslin was elected to the Hall-of-Fame in 1968 ...... and he had to leave because the hotel that he was staying at told him that his room was booked for an upcoming convention. They said that they had told him beforehand that he could only stay for one night. Plus, there were no hotel or motel vacancies within a 20-mile radius of Cooperstown. Soooooooo, he had to leave !!!

He was literally kicked out of Cooperstown on the same day that he was inducted into it. :eektf:

I read that in one of my brother's baseball magazines in 1977.

Great story.

I "borrowed" and never have given back my uncle's baseball book "Big Time Baseball" (published in the early 50's and was sort a catch-all child's book about baseball lore, the stars of the day, HOF inductees and filled with those kinds of stories. There were also some funny cartoons scattered throughout. That combined with a 33 rpm record called "Baseball's First 100 Years" (narrated by Curt Gowdy and Jimmy Stewart sealed my love of the game. Oh, and a '71 coffee table book called " This Great Game" which was sort of an updated version of the book described above. The cover had someone on the Reds trying to break up a double play with Davey Johnson at second base. There was a great article with Earl Weaver which I think was later a part of his strategy book.

Edited by NashLumber
  • Upvote 1

I hate the nickname "Joey Baseball."It's too obvious a ripoff of Manziel (whose "Johnny Football" moniker makes me cringe as well and you see how he turned out). And even then it wasn't original because "Donnie Baseball" is managing the Marlins. And he was a Yankee. However, if Rickard keeps this up, I might go with "Joey Rockstar."

I sometimes have my own nicknames for the players as I'm watching the games. I was calling Schoop "Schoopy" long before I found out they actually called him that, so I was pleased when I found out that's what they call him. I've been calling Kim "Kimmy" so I don't have to pronounce his name.

I hate the nickname "Joey Baseball."It's too obvious a ripoff of Manziel (whose "Johnny Football" moniker makes me cringe as well and you see how he turned out). And even then it wasn't original because "Donnie Baseball" is managing the Marlins. And he was a Yankee. However, if Rickard keeps this up, I might go with "Joey Rockstar."

I sometimes have my own nicknames for the players as I'm watching the games. I was calling Schoop "Schoopy" long before I found out they actually called him that, so I was pleased when I found out that's what they call him. I've been calling Kim "Kimmy" so I don't have to pronounce his name.

Wake up, first there was Teddy Baseball, then Donny Baseball before there was ever Johnny Football.

Nicknames meant a lot more before television, when they added some bit of color to a guy you may never see outside of a black-and-white newspaper photograph. And before standards of journalism did away with most beat writer embellishment and flowery Victorian verbiage. Most modern nicknames seem kind of contrived, although The Commerce Comet and the Old Woman in the Red Cap may have once thought the same thing.