For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

I have long been in favor of an automated strike zone. I think MLB would further its own interests if it reported periodically on the progress it's making in developing and perfecting the balls-and-strikes technology, how it's performing, and problems it's encountering. Of course, that would be inconsistent with MLB's usual m.o. of keeping fans in the dark about pretty much everything it can, so hardly a surprise that the information's not shared.

Here's the definition of the strike zone: "that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.Two things have baffled me since TV (and MLB's Gameday) began to show the strike zone and pitches in relation to the zone:

1. The strike zone is three-dimensional. So is the ball as it travels in or near the strike zone. But what we're shown in the TV graphics is the relationship -- the key being the presence or absence of an overlap between the two on the graphic -- between two two-dimensional objects: a smaller round one for the pitch and a larger rectangle for the strike zone. Are we seeing the relationship between those objects at the front of home plate, at the center (front-to-back) of the plate, or somewhere else? Wherever it is, the two-dimensional portrayal of a pitch and the strike zone doesn't capture the three-dimensional nature of pitches or the strike zone. Since a pitch is a strike if it crosses over any part of home plate, some pitches that are outside the rectangle where the ball passes the rectangle nonetheless are strikes because they touch a portion of the three-dimensional strike zone in front of or behind the rectangle. Does what we're shown have some way of taking into account that apparent mismatch between (a) the three-dimensional strike zone and moving baseball and (b) the two-dimensional depiction of the strike zone and baseball, into account? If not, how many pitches does that mismatch affect? What's the effect on umpire ratings? 

2. Second, the strike zone's top and bottom are defined in a way that makes them depend on the height and batting stance of the batter. I assume that, if an electronic strike zone is implemented, each player will be photographed in his batting stance as he is "prepared to swing at a pitched ball," and the data about the top and bottom of his strike zone will be fed into the electronic system when he comes to bat. For now, how are the top and bottom of the strike zone that we see on TV graphics determined for each player? Are they accurate? Are they consistent for all of a player's at bats? What if a player changes his batting stance dramatically? If the current method for creating the graphics is imprecise, how much difference does that make? What's the effect on umpire ratings?

Any information about how this works would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

This is a textbook example of how seriously MLB takes in getting things right, putting out a quality product, etc.  If calls are too accruate, then it is harder to be biased for a specific team or teams.  That will never do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering that the call that did the most damage went for the Astros I don't think MLB was being actively biased this game.

The missed calls were pretty even.

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Disclaimer, I didn't see pitch that supposedly screwed the Red Sox.

That being said - yes, as a whole that's a terrible night, but based on the charts above it looks like that pitch was a borderline strike at best.  I mean it's not like it was a blatant and obvious strike.  

Like Eric Gregg in the 1997 NLCS bad. 

clip0380.gif.opt_.gif

@Can_of_corn posted this article in another forum, but this article on the experience in the Atlantic League and certain minor leagues should be read by anyone advocating for an electronic strike zone.   It’s not as simple a situation as you think.   https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/10/21/22736400/experimental-rules-atlantic-league-robo-umps

• Upvote 1