Fielding -- [50]

Arm -- [50]

T-Bex:

Hitting -- 60

Power -- [55]

Running -- 60

Fielding -- 70

Arm -- 60

Brackets indicate approximate rating from me; other numbers provided by scouting service.

Stotle or Greg,

IYO How many years away are these two HS Phenoms from cracking an MLB roster?

Hosmer:

Hitting -- 60

Power -- 60

Running -- [45]

Fielding -- [50]

Arm -- [50]

T-Bex:

Hitting -- 60

Power -- [55]

Running -- 60

Fielding -- 70

Arm -- 60

Brackets indicate approximate rating from me; other numbers provided by scouting service.

Hosmer is a plus hitter, among the better ones in the past 10-15 years, so I'd have him at least at 60+, and he has a very good arm as well, another 60+, and his power is tremendous as well, so on that I'd add a + to the 60 and to top it all off he is an outstanding defender at first, outstanding... make the defense at least a 60+. The kid is not slow by any means, and is a very good base-runner, as his 28/28 in SB attemts the past two seasons can attest.

Just my humble opinions.

Hosmer is a plus fielder, so I'd have him at least at 60+, and he has a very good arm as well, another 60+, and his power is tremendous as well, so on that I'd add a + to the 60. The kid is not slow by any means, and is a very good base-runner, as his 28/28 in SB attemts the past two seasons can attest.

Just my humble opinions.

His 60 time is just under 8 seconds, which is a large part of the scouting scale. That is below average. It's great that he's stealing bases, but he's still a tick under average for speed.

He has a very strong arm, but it is much better off the mound than it is in play. It's solid, but generally I've seen it phrased as "solid for a 1b".

His defense, again, is very smooth "for a 1b".

Just my humble opinions. ;)

So if you are the O's do you take the pitcher who will arrive sooner or Hosmer?

If Matusz is available, I take him. Crow will likely be off the board with KC, if not earlier with TAM.

I could easily feel differently by draft day. I just don't like the idea of paying a HS 1b what he's going to likely end up getting (which is upwards of $4.5 - $5 mio).

If Matusz is available, I take him. Crow will likely be off the board with KC, if not earlier with TAM.

I could easily feel differently by draft day. I just don't like the idea of paying a HS 1b what he's going to likely end up getting (which is upwards of $4.5 - $5 mio).

I am with you on this one especially after seeing Snyder & Rowell still somewhat struggling in high-A ball and now with the latest Loewen injury, Matusz could possibly be here by 2010 which would fit our rebuilding time-line nicely.

I understand my earlier question about the grading scales may take alot of work to figure out so thankyou anyways. Also thankyou to the guy who did try to answer it for me about atleast two prospects.

It's just that you often hear about how a guy is a slick fielder, or has plus power, or plus speed, but it's hard to really understand just how good these guys mean when they say that. So the number scale makes alot of sense to me.

I guess I'll just have to buy a subscription to some scouting service magazine or website or something to get all of this info from people who have the time to do all of the work that must entail.

Thanks though guys.

Archived