Janish up: ? down

wildcard

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree completely, but I think that it was mostly Wieters' fault.

Steve Stone immediately picked up on it, and stated that he believed that the pitch would have been called a strike had Wieters not gotten up and cocked his arm.

Worley essentially got the 3rd out that was needed, but his teammate nullified it by (for all intents and purposes) telling the umpire that the pitch was a ball.

So a catcher shouldn't attempt to throw out someone stealing if they believe a pitch is strike 3? I disagree with that logic. The ump blew the call, not Wieters' fault. I have seen umpires call strike 3 in that situation making the throw to catch the runner irrelevant.

So a catcher shouldn't attempt to throw out someone stealing if they believe a pitch is strike 3? I disagree with that logic. The ump blew the call, not Wieters' fault. I have seen umpires call strike 3 in that situation making the throw to catch the runner irrelevant.

Yup. As I said before, a Major League umpire should not miss that call.

I agree completely, but I think that it was mostly Wieters' fault.

Steve Stone immediately picked up on it, and stated that he believed that the pitch would have been called a strike had Wieters not gotten up and cocked his arm.

Worley essentially got the 3rd out that was needed, but his teammate nullified it by (for all intents and purposes) telling the umpire that the pitch was a ball.

I agree that the ump blew the call, but I also believe that the reality of the situation is that umpires will often let something like that influence their decision. I have also seen umpires make the correct call in those situations, but I have also seen the opposite happen almost just as often. It's very similar to pitch-framing. I think it can be debated as to how much pitch-framing affects calls, but I don't think that there is any doubt that it does at least occasionally help (or hurt) the pitcher. Some would argue that it (pitch-framing) is a major factor, some would say that it is a moderate factor, and some would say that it is only a minor fact ...... but it is a factor.

You are correct in asserting that my criticism of Wieters was overzealous. It was indeed largely on the umpire, if not completely. But considering the situation at the time (2 outs, and 2 strikes on the batter), I think that Wieters might have done it differently if he had had a do-over. I think that because of the circumstances (2 outs, and 2 strikes on the batter), you really need to almost disregard the base-runner and concentrate solely on getting the batter out, especially that late in the game, when one run would likely make the difference between winning and losing the game.

Even with Janish up does Manny play SS mostly?

Can Janish play 3B? Or would Janish get some spot starts to spell Manny?

IMO,

I think Manny @ SS and Flaherty @ 3rd, get most of the starts.

Janish will get some spot starts @ SS and Manny plays 3rd, if Janish hits, he will probably get more starts.

McFarland sealed his fate tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McFarland had a poor outing. Wright starts on Friday. GIvens could pitch over the next two days. Wilson seems safe. The decision will be made Saturday.

(MAY 4th)

Paul Janish is going on paternity leave, and is expecting to have his contract selected by the Orioles upon his return.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/727926200975409153

In regard to the overall scheme of what players and positions are to be (or not to be ) shuffled around ......

Orioles Prefer Keeping Chris Davis at 1st Base

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/05/orioles-prefer-keeping-chris-davis-at-first.html

I would think Janish would be the guy called up.

We already have enough trouble getting Kim into games. Paredes would not serve as much more than a pinch runner.

Avery has an .891 OPS in Norfolk. He should be under consideration too, an ideal late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

I would think Janish would be the guy called up.

We already have enough trouble getting Kim into games. Paredes would not serve as much more than a pinch runner.

Avery has an .891 OPS in Norfolk. He should be under consideration too, an ideal late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

The O's have five outfielders on the roster with Jones, Trumbo, Rickard, Reimold and Kim for three spots.

The O's only have four infielders for four spots in Davis, Schoop, Manny and Flaherty if Alvarez is just considered a DH. The O's have more of a need for another infielder than an outfielder (Avery) or a DH (Paredes).

Janish gets called up on Saturday IMO.

Archived