Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-sold-a-draft-pick-again/

But while cash savings now aren’t guaranteed to be turned into roster upgrades later, the Orioles did just buy some major league flexibility. At 26-16, they’re currently in first place in the AL East, and are likely to be buyers when the trade deadline rolls around this summer. Due to the adjustments made to the rules about when draft picks can be traded — dubbed the Trea Turner rule — any picks made this summer cannot be included in deals for players this season; those picks could help replenish the farm system if the team plans on using some of their current prospects to acquire big league additions, but those picks themselves can’t be traded until after the season, and they can no longer be included as players-to-be-named-later.

So, while it’s easy to just look at this and criticize the Orioles for selling off an asset, it seems reasonable to assume that the $3 million in cash savings realized by dumping Matusz’s money might actually be a way for the team to effectively trade a draft pick for some in-season help. By trading the pick now for the cash savings, they can then take on more money in a trade this summer, reducing the asking price in talent from the seller by providing financial relief that other teams may not be as willing to offer.

Given the state of the Orioles rotation, it seems pretty likely that the team is going to be in on a starting pitcher this summer. Perhaps the team is looking ahead to a deal for a guy like James Shields, and feels they’ll be better served by offering to take on more of his salary than by trying to compete with other buyers in just prospect offers. The Orioles don’t have a lot of prospects to trade, so by accumulating some financial flexibility, they might put themselves in a position to offer a seller something that they can’t get as easily elsewhere.

It is poor money management by Dan that they would need 3M in additional payroll flexibility.

Would this team be worse with Trumbo at DH and Reimold/Kim platooning in the outfield with Alvarez's money in reserve?

Would this team be worse with Gallardo's money in reserve?

Of course not. But at the same time, if you have depth in the minors (one of the very few things they do have depth for) for a role that is probably one of the lowest rung roles in MLB, wouldn't you prefer to save that $4m?

Yeah, I was pretty indifferent on tendering him. The money was pretty much right at value for a LHRP with his experience/numbers. Didn't really care one way or the other. Now, he has performed much worse than he had previously, of course.

Roch Kubatko www.masnsports.com

Barker, 23, went 3-2 with a 2.00 ERA (10 earned runs in 45 innings) and 40 strikeouts in nine games (eight starts) with Double-A Mississippi this season. He’s headed to Double-A Bowie.

In 50 career minor league games (40 starts), Barker has gone 20-14 with a 3.08 ERA over 228 innings. He was named the Carolina Mudcats Pitcher of the Year by the Braves in 2015 after going 8-5 with a 3.00 ERA in 17 starts.

Roch Kubatko www.masnsports.com

Belicek, 23, has gone 3-0 with a 2.22 ERA (seven earned runs in 28 1/3 innings), while walking one and striking out 32 in 12 games between Single-A Rome and Double-A Mississippi. He’s headed to Single-A Frederick.

Belicek led all Braves minor league starting pitchers with a 2.53 ERA last year between Single-A Danville and Rome. In 26 career minor league games (nine starts), he’s gone 8-0 with a 2.43 ERA, 13 walks and 73 strikeouts.

Fun fact. Oliver Drake won (co-won) the Jim Palmer award in 2015.

Oliver Drake is a hell of a prospect though, corn. Just like these two fellas who got punted for the opportunity to eat 3 million dollars and acquire slot money. They're prospects in the eyes of no one.

I stand by the last line, you can't see it by his actions.

He's traded three comp picks and forfeited 3 draft picks (4 if you count Davis and he also tried to forfeit one for Fowler)

That, to me, shows someone that doesn't place value on them.

As I also said I am pretty sure your established bar of caring "not saying pass at draft time" isn't a permissible action.

No, it shows that he decided what he was getting in return was worth the value he put on them.

Oliver Drake is a hell of a prospect though, corn. Just like these two fellas who got punted for the opportunity to eat 3 million dollars and acquire slot money. They're prospects in the eyes of no one.

How old is Ollie? Oh yeah. As old as Sharlon.

Yeah, I was pretty indifferent on tendering him. The money was pretty much right at value for a LHRP with his experience/numbers. Didn't really care one way or the other. Now, he has performed much worse than he had previously, of course.

Completely disagree. We were using him less and less last year. I'm not sure I can recall a non-mop up exclusive pitcher that needed teh situation to be as tailor made for him as Matusz had to have it for him to pitch last year. Then the fact that he salary was going to be 4 million, and we were going to have to carry Bundy in the pen, it was a poor move, without hindsight.

Archived