Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Dodgers bought one (from Dan) for 2.5M a couple years ago.

So I'm thinking it's around market value.

It's a small sample size since Dan is evidently the only GM that thinks selling the picks is a good idea.

These minor leaguers seem a little better than those that came over in the Dodgers trade.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barker's numbers as a RHSP in AA look pretty good, as do Belicek's as a LHRP in A Adv. Both guys are progressing pretty well for 16th rounders, IMO. I don't know. These two and $3.9 million for the 76th pick doesn't look like a disaster to me.

So you think the turnaround is the great workings of DD and not Buck's genius? I think DD gets way more credit than he deserves. Look at his resume on FA signings. People give DD too much credit. He isn't bad, but isn't great either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a combination of both, you can't just go around giving credit to one and not the other, that's just dumb. Buck makes a great dinner but DD gets some pretty good groceries.

Precisely. People think this is the NFL, it isn't even close. The hit rate on late 1st round guys is abysmal, by the time you get to 76 you might as well pick names out of a hat.

Precisely the point. If it is blind luck, all the more reason to want even more picks to increase the blind luck possibility that the 1 pick out of 20 actually produces.

It's a combination of both, you can't just go around giving credit to one and not the other, that's just dumb. Buck makes a great dinner but DD gets some pretty good groceries.

So my Broncos won the SB last year bc of the greatness of Peyton Manning equally as much as their defense?

I think it's 70-30 Buck if we are assigning arbitrary teamwork %'s.

Can't stand the guy that's kept us in playoff contention every year since he's been here! Screw that guy! I want Syd Thrift back, that guy knew what was up!

Maybe I should have said I can't stand Duquette's lack of ability to grow a farm system.

These minor leaguers seem a little better than those that came over in the Dodgers trade.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Neither P the Orioles just received for Matusz was in the Braves' top 30 prospects per <a href="https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica">@BaseballAmerica</a></p>— Steve Cockey (@BMoreBaseball) <a href="

">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Heh, he wasn't my idol at all. I was just realistic in seeing him as an effective reliever two of the last three years, which is a disappointing but not overall surprising outcome for a top-5 pick, rather than the anti-Christ.

In your defense, I agreed with you. Brian Matusz HAD good numbers that justified his salary. It's obvious he was hanging onto the cliff though; he toed that line between being acceptable and being a paperweight.

So my Broncos won the SB last year bc of the greatness of Peyton Manning equally as much as their defense?

I think it's 70-30 Buck if we are assigning arbitrary teamwork %'s.

Where's Peyton Manning an apt comparison here? Does Peyton Manning do any FA work for the Broncos? Last I checked it was John Elway. Did you mean it was Gary Kubiak's great magic that won the superbowl last year and not anything that John Elway architected?

You're the one assigning arbitrary teamwork percentages, not me. Too hard to do, but whatever it is I think they're doing just fine.

Barker's numbers as a RHSP in AA look pretty good, as do Belicek's as a LHRP in A Adv. Both guys are progressing pretty well for 16th rounders, IMO. I don't know. These two and $3.9 million for the 76th pick doesn't look like a disaster to me.

I'm liking this trade. This also frees up a spot in the pen for Ubaldo to go if we somehow find a better option(healthy Gallardo).

The players we got look good. A nice 23 year old starter and a lefty that looks like he is moving quickly after being moved to the pen. We criticize DD but last year he picked up Lee, Gunkel and R.Rodriguez in smaller deals. Hope these guys have similar results.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Neither P the Orioles just received for Matusz was in the Braves' top 30 prospects per <a href="https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica">@BaseballAmerica</a></p>? Steve Cockey (@BMoreBaseball) <a href="
">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Barker might be top 30 in our system. Any word on what these guys throw or do I need to read back more?

Archived