Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

I'd like to see him moved up quickly, if he's successful in AA (and/or AAA), and see late next year how he fares against ML hitters.

Two reasons. The main one is to get a better idea of what he can contribute to the rotation in 2019. The second is that if we're on the edge of postseason contention, he might help in the bullpen or with a spot start or two, even if it's only for a few innings. (That depends on what our rotation looks like a year from now, a subject I don't want to think about.)

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Now that Harvey's healthy. Let's get into the way too early speculation....

I say don't waste too many of his TJ repaired elbow in the minors.  In 2018, have him start in Frederick for 5ish games, earn a quick promotion to Bowie, and let him accumulate around 100 innings there. Come 2019, be should be ready for the majors. 

I like that plan - though 10 games in Frederick might make more sense - no need to rush there.  2019 is a great goal for the bigs, and I think it'll coincide well with a lot of other young O's.  Him getting in some good innings this year is a huge plus and creates a lot of optimism.  

5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Truly exciting to finally have an ace in waiting. 

I don't mean to rain too hard on your parade, but Harvey is much less of a hyped prospect than Bundy and even Gausman were. He's also pitched less than 25 innings in the last three years. I am extremely happy that he is happy and his rehab assignments are going well, but the amount of hype based on overpowering a few short season minor leaguers seems a bit over the top.Harvey is no more of an ace in waiting than Bundy, Gausman, and even others were early in their minor league careers. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't mean to rain too hard on your parade, but Harvey is much less of a hyped prospect than Bundy and even Gausman were. He's also pitched less than 25 innings in the last three years. I am extremely happy that he is happy and his rehab assignments are going well, but the amount of hype based on overpowering a few short season minor leaguers seems a bit over the top.Harvey is no more of an ace in waiting than Bundy, Gausman, and even others were early in their minor league careers. 

Harvey was pretty hyped after his strong performance the year he was drafted.  I'd definitely say Gausman level hype.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Harvey was pretty hyped after his strong performance the year he was drafted.  I'd definitely say Gausman level hype.

I'm not trying to dump on Harvey and I hear you, but Gausman was Baseball Americas #20 prospect at one point. Harvey has not reached that level. Maybe "hype" was the wrong word. My point was that Harvey's potential to be an "ace" is certainly no more and probably less than Bundy and Gausman had early in their minor league career. I was referencing BW55's "finally" comment. 

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

LOL..you just p***ed all over my parade but that's okay. Even if he's a good #2 I'll be excited.

Didn't mean to be a negative nelly...but it comes very naturally. I sure hope Harvey blossoms into an ace for the Orioles. I just was pointing out that the Orioles have had very promising starting pitchers in the minors even in recent years. Bundy was Baseball America's number 2 prospect at one point, for example. Doesn't get much more promising than that. :)

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

I'm not trying to dump on Harvey and I hear you, but Gausman was Baseball Americas #20 prospect at one point. Harvey has not reached that level. Maybe "hype" was the wrong word. My point was that Harvey's potential to be an "ace" is certainly no more and probably less than Bundy and Gausman had early in their minor league career. I was referencing BW55's "finally" comment. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=harvey002hun

#20 Baseball Prospectus pre-2015.

I do agree that Bundy was the most likely to become an "ace" of the three.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=harvey002hun

#20 Baseball Prospectus pre-2015.

I do agree that Bundy was the most likely to become an "ace" of the three.

Baseball America #68. :) Gausman was Baseball America #20 at one point. 

Again, not ragging on Harvey, just making a point that the Orioles have had other highly ranked starting pitching prospects. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I'd like to see him moved up quickly, if he's successful in AA (and/or AAA), and see late next year how he fares against ML hitters.

Two reasons. The main one is to get a better idea of what he can contribute to the rotation in 2019. The second is that if we're on the edge of postseason contention, he might help in the bullpen or with a spot start or two, even if it's only for a few innings. (That depends on what our rotation looks like a year from now, a subject I don't want to think about.)

I'd prefer to move him slowly. I don't want him to learn how to pitch in the majors. The difference between a #1 SP & #3 is location & movement. I'd like him to work on his offspeed & movement on his fb against minor leaguers before moving him up. If AA hitters can't hit him then I'd move him but I wouldn't rush it. He looks like a possible #1, I want him to learn how to pitch and then come up. I wish Bundy could have thrown another 150 innings in the minors, he needs a better change & consistency on his breaking ball & movement on his 2S fb ....all things easier to find in the minors. Hunter has been learning how to pitch since he was about 3 so his knowledge is likely advanced but I'd wait until his change & top breaking pitch are 60s before moving him, the only thing that can stop him from having a 60 change & curve is impatience. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Baseball America #68. :) Gausman was Baseball America #20 at one point. 

Again, not ragging on Harvey, just making a point that the Orioles have had other highly ranked starting pitching prospects. 

So you are of the opinion that it is more meaningful to be ranked 20 by BA than by BP?

I consider them about the same.

Unless you are talking about something like Bleacher Report.

I'd feel comfortable saying that both were at one time top 20 prospects.

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Harvey was rated ahead of guys like Paxton. He had a lot of hype after he dominated in his first year. Harvey got a future curve rating of 70 by prospectus. 

29 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm not going to look at how every organization ranked him at what particular time, but...

You are correct that Bundy got more hype, and you're wrong that Gausman got more hype than Harvey.  If anything, Harvey got more hype than Gausman.  To say he got much less hype than Gausman is ridiculous.