Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He looked pretty good in the highlights. Precedent has been set. Each player has had their own set of unique circumstances but Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, and maybe even Machado, we’re all called up a half season “too early”. If he earns it there is nothing wrong with letting him give it a go out of ST. 

The guy has overcame a lot. Sending him down if he doesn’t work out won’t destroy him.

What precedent has been set for a pitcher with zero experience beyond Low-A ball jumping immediately to the major league team? When has that ever happened in recent memory?

Schoop had made his way through every level of the system before he came to the majors, including 70 games at Triple-A. Machado had 109 games at Double-A before he was called up. Gausman spent two months at Double-A before he came up (and continued to be shuttled between the majors and minors for a while after that). Even Bundy had 11 games of experience at Double-A before he stuck in the majors for good, and he almost certainly would've started in the minors for more seasoning in 2016 if he hadn't been out of options.

Again, Hunter Harvey has never played above Low-A. Not Norfolk. Not Bowie. Not even Frederick. And he's pitched in a grand total of 13 games in the last three seasons because of injuries. To suggest he's somehow ready to crack the Orioles' Opening Day roster, and contribute in the majors from day one this season, is crazy talk.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

What precedent has been set for a pitcher with zero experience beyond Low-A ball jumping immediately to the major league team? When has that ever happened in recent memory?

Schoop had made his way through every level of the system before he came to the majors, including 70 games at Triple-A. Machado had 109 games at Double-A before he was called up. Gausman spent two months at Double-A before he came up (and continued to be shuttled between the majors and minors for a while after that). Even Bundy had 11 games of experience at Double-A before he stuck in the majors for good, and he almost certainly would've started in the minors for more seasoning in 2016 if he hadn't been out of options.

Again, Hunter Harvey has never played above Low-A. Not Norfolk. Not Bowie. Not even Frederick. And he's pitched in a grand total of 13 games in the last three seasons because of injuries. To suggest he's somehow ready to crack the Orioles' Opening Day roster, and contribute in the majors from day one this season, is crazy talk.

Cherry pick the one precedent comment. Just poor wording on my part. But I will argue it. Daniel Caberera. Haha. 

On a serious note, Schoop was not ready, he played his one season in AAA with a bad back. He got the call because there was a need. 

Buck pointed out several times that this isn’t your typical situation. This guy is 23, not 19.  He’s had to rehab from two serious injuries. That’ll mature you fast. Son of a former MLB P. Buck talked a lot about the way he carried himself. 

I’m not saying we should hand him a rotation spot. In a perfect world he’d start the year in AAA. You guy are acting like he must climb the ladder and go to the last level he left off. Haha. So bold this part, if he doesn’t make the team he’s going to AAA not A+. 

When the 5th SP competition is between Wright, Cortes, and Ynoa, talent like Harvey’s is going to stand out. Talent wins out every time. Especially 23 year old talent. He’s not DL Hall. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In a perfect world he should jump from low A to AAA?

Doesn’t the same crowd severely underrate Sisco because he climbed the ladder?  Winning batting titles at two stops. Defense blah blah blah. People did the same with Mancini  

This isn’t my decision.  We all have smart phones and HD TVs  Tune into the ST games, or at least watch the highlights posted here.  We will get to see this all play out .

Luke and Weems did an awesome job this offseason going with keeping the conversation going with reports on guys like Cortes and Mesa, but the reality is that those guys are longer shots than Harvey to go North as the #5.  I don’t want to say I told you so. 

Stay tuned.  Take a couple minutes and watch his ST(over the entire ST) vids compared to the other competitors. We will get to see this all play out.

Edited by sportsfan8703

I think it would obviously be unprecedented for the O's to start Harvey in Baltimore this year, but the O's have clearly put need at the major league level above development in the minors multiple times. I suspect they will start Harvey at Bowie, but if he's lights out for four or five starts then he could be in Baltimore very quickly. 

p.s. They also seem totally uninterested in gaming service time to the club's advantage. 

8 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I hear you, but the Orioles did promote a 19 year old Bundy to Baltimore for a look see after 100 professional innings. He made pit stops at multiple minor league stops, but I think the Orioles intended for Bundy to be in the majors early in the 2013 season at the ripe old age of 20. The Orioles are so conservative in many ways, but they don't seem to be afraid of doing "crazy talk" things with some young players. I think he starts the year at Bowie, but if he is the best looking pitcher in spring training then who knows. The O's are a little wacky. Unfortunately, he'll probably get shelled next start and all this speculation will evaporate. :(

13 hours ago, bird watcher said:

He is 23 so I wouldn't say "very" young but I see your point.  The TJ surgery just sets things back so much.  I am glad it happened before the arbitration clock started.  He could be huge for us going forward.

Also being drafted out of high school, he hasnt even thrown innings at the college level, which isn't always a bad thing, just makes him a bit younger, baseball wise.

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not particularly a hard innings cap guy, although I doubt turning him loose to throw as many innings as he earns is a good idea.

The hurting his future statement doesn’t necessarily mean injury, it could also stunt the development of his changeup and kill a year of service time before he’s ready. 

Just leave him in the minors and get him ready to compete for a 2019 rotation spot.

I dont look for a hard cap, I do look for them to be very protective of how they use him and will follow a similar road to how they handled Bundy. IMO

8 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

When has that ever happened. How messed up is this organization and fan base to think that a guy with 30 innings in the past 2 years at low A or rookie league is ready to jump to the majors, and as what a middle reliever? It's so ridiculous and wrong that I could almost see this organization doing it.

25 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you, but the Orioles did promote a 19 year old Bundy to Baltimore for a look see after 100 professional innings. He made pit stops at multiple minor league stops, but I think the Orioles intended for Bundy to be in the majors early in the 2013 season at the ripe old age of 20. The Orioles are so conservative in many ways, but they don't seem to be afraid of doing "crazy talk" things with some young players. I think he starts the year at Bowie, but if he is the best looking pitcher in spring training then who knows. The O's are a little wacky. Unfortunately, he'll probably get shelled next start and all this speculation will evaporate. :(

Bundy is not a good comparison. He signed a ML deal (another big FO mistake), and because of that had to be rushed to the majors

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bundy is not a good comparison. He signed a ML deal (another big FO mistake), and because of that had to be rushed to the majors

His point is, if Bundy had been healthy, he probably would have spent a good chunk of 2013 in the majors, not because he had to be, but because the O’s felt he was ready.    Bundy didn’t have to be in the majors until 2016.   So, that shows the O’s can move guys quickly when they believe in them.

That said, Harvey hasn’t been healthy and he has no exposure at all to the high minors, nor is he as highly regarded a prospect as Bundy was going into 2013 (Bundy was ranked no. 2 by BA and MLB.com, no. 4 by BP before that season).    He needs some minor league seasoning and the O’s need to manage his innings carefully.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1