Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How many innings does he have in him this season? 90 - 100, maybe?

So, what is the best way to use those limited innings to prepare him to compete for a 2019 spot? 

Is it having him in the majors piggybacking, spot starting and pitching middle relief innings vs major league hitting, to major league catchers, around major league teammates and coaches, on a major league schedule?

Or is it getting 15 - 20 minor league starts split between Bowie and Norfolk and being shut down by early August?

Also don’t forget he gets the MLB coaching and training staff. If the argument is be cautious with him, well then the most cautious thing might be to be monitored by the best in the world. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also don’t forget he gets the MLB coaching and training staff. If the argument is be cautious with him, well then the most cautious thing might be to be monitored by the best in the world. 

Dont forgot who Hunter has for a father.

I suspect Daddy is somebody that Hunter relies on.

14 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

What precedent has been set for a pitcher with zero experience beyond Low-A ball jumping immediately to the major league team? When has that ever happened in recent memory?

Schoop had made his way through every level of the system before he came to the majors, including 70 games at Triple-A. Machado had 109 games at Double-A before he was called up. Gausman spent two months at Double-A before he came up (and continued to be shuttled between the majors and minors for a while after that). Even Bundy had 11 games of experience at Double-A before he stuck in the majors for good, and he almost certainly would've started in the minors for more seasoning in 2016 if he hadn't been out of options.

Again, Hunter Harvey has never played above Low-A. Not Norfolk. Not Bowie. Not even Frederick. And he's pitched in a grand total of 13 games in the last three seasons because of injuries. To suggest he's somehow ready to crack the Orioles' Opening Day roster, and contribute in the majors from day one this season, is crazy talk.

Right... so it's rather surprising to see in today's telecast (vs. StL) they list Harvey as one of the half dozen candidates for the number 5 spot in the rotation.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am not ready to concede that singing Bundy to a ML contract was a mistake.

That might have been the only way to get the guy to sign on the dotted line, and he was a highly sought commodity at the time.

I'm confused. I didn't say that at all. The Orioles were obviously very prepared to promote Bundy years before they were required. They did promote him years before they were required. 

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How many innings does he have in him this season? 90 - 100, maybe?

So, what is the best way to use those limited innings to prepare him to compete for a 2019 spot? 

Is it having him in the majors piggybacking, spot starting and pitching middle relief innings vs major league hitting, to major league catchers, around major league teammates and coaches, on a major league schedule?

Or is it getting 15 - 20 minor league starts split between Bowie and Norfolk and being shut down by early August?

The minors, no question. Get him some experience above Low-A. Let him get back in form after his injuries.

What's the rush to bring Harvey to the majors right now? Sheer desperation? That's not a good philosophy. Not to mention you'd be starting his major league service clock early for no real reason.

35 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

The minors, no question. Get him some experience above Low-A. Let him get back in form after his injuries.

What's the rush to bring Harvey to the majors right now? Sheer desperation? That's not a good philosophy. Not to mention you'd be starting his major league service clock early for no real reason.

The real reason would be because he is better than the other options.

45 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm confused. I didn't say that at all. The Orioles were obviously very prepared to promote Bundy years before they were required. They did promote him years before they were required. 

Redskin Rick was not directing that comment to you.    webbrick2010 stated that signing Bundy to a major league contract was a big mistake.    

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah, but when to start someone's clock is an extremely small part of that vision.

Debatable. 

As some folks have stated they would have been well served in hindsight to delay Schoop's clock by a few weeks.

I don't see a benefit to the player or the team for Harvey to be in the majors in 2018.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah, but when to start someone's clock is an extremely small part of that vision.

It’s pretty big IMO.    Even if I were inclined to have Harvey spend most of his time in Baltimore this year (which I’m not), I’d certainly have him pitch in the minors to start the year to ensure he’d still be under team control in 2024 (not 2025, by the way).

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

For no reason. Manny got us to the playoffs in 2012. But he's gone next year because of that. Schoop only needed a month or so and we would have a year after next.