Gallardo - our last, best hope?

Frobby

OK, he had declining velocity and IP/start in the second half of last year, the O's detected structural issues with his shoulder before they signed him, he got mashed in spring training and in April, and his rehab starts have just been so-so. There's still some hope that the DL trip and strengthening of the muscles around his shoulder will allow him to provide a competent MOR performance over the remaining 96 games. Whether he can do it or not may decide the fate of this team. I'm going to the game today and while I can't say I'm optimistic, I'm hoping against hope that we'll see a different version of Gallardo than we saw in April.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, he had declining velocity and IP/start in the second half of last year, the O's detected structural issues with his shoulder before they signed him, he got mashed in spring training and in April, and his rehab starts have just been so-so. There's still some hope that the DL trip and strengthening of the muscles around his shoulder will allow him to provide a competent MOR performance over the remaining 96 games. Whether he can do it or not may decide the fate of this team. I'm going to the game today and while I can't say I'm optimistic, I'm hoping against hope that we'll see a different version of Gallardo than we saw in April.

I hope so too.

I still think there is a trade for a medium range type starting pitcher. Not that I am saying this is a good thing. But I think that it is coming. From the teams at the bottom who are looking for prospects. Maybe one of Reds starters- Dan Straily or Anthony DeSclafini or Ervin Santana from the Twins (they would have to eat some dollars or take less prospects). Julio Teheran will be too expensive but (don't throw anything at me, lol) Bud Norris has had two good starts in their rotation, 4 hits and 1 run in 7 innings against the Cubs last week with no walks.

In Norfolk, it looked like they were trying to stretch out Andy Oliver to start some games, he's only pitched once in the past 7 days though. His 8.8 K rate is one of the highest on the team. Gallardo and Despaigne are definitely the best options for now.

I'm going on a limb and saying if Gallardo isn't at least a #3 for this team, that the O's will fade out of contention.

And if he is a #3, then what? :scratchchinhmm: We be in this until the end and no more whining? :hearts: Let's stay positive! :clap3:

Archived