Gallardo - our last, best hope?

Frobby

19 more starts allowing 9 baserunners every 5 innings probably wouldn't end up well. The bar is set very low if people are happy about this start. I'm still not optimistic.

I'm not optimistic either but what he gave us yesterday was sufficient.

As for expectations I wasn't expecting more than 5IP 2ER when they signed him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't want 19 more starts where he allows that many baserunners either, but I expect (hope?) he won't be walking 4 batters every 5 innings going forward either. It was his first start back, so I think we need at least a few more before making too much of a judgement.

Does anyone remember the walks issued per inning? I'd be interested to see if they were earlier in the game or spread throughout. I can't remember.

He walked Encarnacion in the first with two outs and none on.

He walked Encarnacion in the third after a Donaladson double (one out). Then he walked Saunders. Struck out the next two.

Walked Pillar to lead off the fourth. He scored.

I wouldn't want 19 more starts where he allows that many base-runners either, but I expect (hope?) he won't be walking 4 batters every 5 innings going forward either. It was his first start back, so I think we need at least a few more before making too much of a judgement.

Does anyone remember the walks issued per inning? I'd be interested to see if they were earlier in the game or spread throughout. I can't remember.

I think the fact that many Oriole fans would "take" what Gallardo did yesterday on a regular basis is both an indictment of the Orioles' starting pitching overall AND a compliment to the Orioles' bullpen and the Orioles' offense.

If Jimenez and Wright had not been as awful as they have been so far this season, then our standards for what we are willing to accept would probably be higher than 5 innings and 2 runs from a free-agent pitcher that we are paying $11 Million a season for.

And if the bullpen were not as good as it has been and/or the offense was not as explosive as it has been ......then our standards for what for what we are willing to accept would probably be higher than 5 innings and 2 runs from a free-agent pitcher that we are paying $11 Million a season for.

Too many walks, but it was his first start back. I was happy with the results, and it was somewhat encouraging that his velocity was back up to the 91 MPH range instead of 88-89 MPH like it was before the rehab stint. He should definitely be a step up from Wright/Ubaldo.

The walks were well placed, and in two cases, attributable to the umpire alone.

It's encouraging since he's fresh off the DL and this is his 4th start. Only threw 85 pitches. I hated the signing, too. But really there isn't much in the minors to help and the O's don't have trade pieces to acquire much better. So have to be pragmatic here.

I think the fact that many Oriole fans would "take" what Gallardo did yesterday on a regular basis is both an indictment of the Orioles' starting pitching overall AND a compliment to the Orioles' bullpen and the Orioles' offense.

If Jimenez and Wright had not been as awful as they have been so far this season, then our standards for what we are willing to accept would probably be higher than 5 innings and 2 runs from a free-agent pitcher that we are paying $11 Million a season for.

And if the bullpen were not as good as it has been and/or the offense was not as explosive as it has been ......then our standards for what for what we are willing to accept would probably be higher than 5 innings and 2 runs from a free-agent pitcher that we are paying $11 Million a season for.

I completely agree. Our standards were lowered by the pitcher we're paying $12.25 million a season for.

He walked Encarnacion in the first with two outs and none on.

He walked Encarnacion in the third after a Donaladson double (one out). Then he walked Saunders. Struck out the next two.

Walked Pillar to lead off the fourth. He scored.

I feel like he threw strike one to most batters. The Jays were pretty tenacious.

And for the most part they were to dangerous guys who could hurt him.

He went up there with a plan and the plan was to avoid giving the guys who could do the most damage, Donaldson and Incarnation, many good pitches to hit.

He seems to be a smart pitcher who knows his limitations and pitches within them. He's going to get the most out of his abilities, he's going to pitch carefully to the big guns and walk a few.

Whether that's "good enough", we shall see. It's certainly a refreshing change to watch a real pitcher instead of Wright.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is how he pitches if you look at last years walks.

Yovani walked 68 Batters in 2015

Of those 68 walks, 45 were on a full count while 6 were a four pitch walk. He picks his pitches to certain batters and does not give in.

19 more starts allowing 9 baserunners every 5 innings probably wouldn't end up well. The bar is set very low if people are happy about this start. I'm still not optimistic.

He was up against one of the best lineups in baseball. Give the Jays some credit. They've been swinging the bats well and have power up and down the lineup just like the Orioles do. It's not easy to shut them down.

Thought gallardo and Despaigne were taking the two rotation spots. Despaigne is pitching now. So who is facing SD? Ubaldo? Bundy? Some surprise from the minors?

I think Ubaldo.

And you k ow what? We still could win. Padres are throwing a crappy 4A guy at us. We have the way better hitting and better bullpen. We are 25-12 at home.

And we are actually 6-7 in Ubaldo's starts. Better than you would expect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Archived