Gallardo - our last, best hope?

Frobby

Thought gallardo and Despaigne were taking the two rotation spots. Despaigne is pitching now. So who is facing SD? Ubaldo? Bundy? Some surprise from the minors?

That's an interesting development. I can't imagine it's Ubaldo. TJ won't be eligible.

Aquino?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an interesting development. I can't imagine it's Ubaldo. TJ won't be eligible.

Aquino?

Nick Additon has pitched well at AAA this year and his last start was on June 15. It would make the most sense to call him up to make the start on Wednesday.

That makes sense. If the other thread is correct, they could option Gausman as a paper move and get an extra arm.The may only need Despaigne to get through 3,or 4

Would not be shocked if it were Bundy. Have him on a strict pitch count and hopefully he and Despaigne could give you 6.

I think Ubaldo.

And you k ow what? We still could win. Padres are throwing a crappy 4A guy at us. We have the way better hitting and better bullpen. We are 25-12 at home.

And we are actually 6-7 in Ubaldo's starts. Better than you would expect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All of the above is correct, but in his last 7 games the O's are 2-5 because he had an 11.47 ERA and .368/.448/.556 - 1.003 OPS against.

So more often than not, those will be a losing proposition. It's buoyed a bit w/ Erik Johnson pitching, but this kid has had some success and is a former 2nd round draft pick and top 100 prospect in all of baseball up until 2014.

I think Ubaldo.

And you k ow what? We still could win. Padres are throwing a crappy 4A guy at us. We have the way better hitting and better bullpen. We are 25-12 at home.

And we are actually 6-7 in Ubaldo's starts. Better than you would expect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Crappy 4A huh? every time we see this he's a junk baller and we get 1 hit by the guy. :P

When he was getting shelled early in the year, I was advocating for Gallardo and I still am. The guy can pitch. He has command of 4 pitches. He won't be amazing, but he will be a pitcher who can keep any team at bay on a given day IMO. I didn't love the signing, but I also didn't think it was an awful one. Ubaldo was a bad signing. If he can carry 90 with occasional bursts to 92 as he did today, he will be a very pleasant surprise for the remainder of the year. I loved the sharpness of his curve and slider today.

For all the discussion about Ubaldo's lack of command (and it is bad), his biggest issue is how poor his breaking stuff is these days. His slider rolls and his splitter floats. I still think something is wrong with Ubaldo's arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing I liked, in the 3rd or 4th inning he had a bases loaded jam. He took a big deep breath on the mound. Then got a strikeout for the 3rd out. Compare to Wright and his deer in the headlights look. I'll take Gallardo any day!

Nick Additon has pitched well at AAA this year and his last start was on June 15. It would make the most sense to call him up to make the start on Wednesday.

He'd have to be added to the 40-man. We'd probably lose someone.

He'd have to be added to the 40-man. We'd probably lose someone.

40. David Hale

39. Henry Urrutia

Plus we could move Bridwell to the 60 man DL. He hasn't pitched since the end of May. There's some easy moves to make if we wanted to add someone. Right now it just doesn't look like there is no one to add. Drake, Beato and R.Rodriguez would be interesting relievers to add if we needed one.

Archived