Duquette's offseason, in hindsight

Frobby

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, thought O'Day did a 3 year deal. Maybe DD felt he could keep one of the other, and chose to keep O'Day?"

I believe Ed Rod is back in AAA? Isn't he?

Shouldn't 5 years of winning baseball, be used to support a good job by the GM?

Davis with the Brewers, so who are the other 2 SP that are starting in the big leagues?

-Erod is on the DL

-Davies : Brewers

-Brault : Pirates (part of that great trade of 2 lefty prospects for Snider)

I still believe that Duquette inherited a winner. He took over in Nov of 2012. 2012 was playoff run.

-Erod is on the DL

I still believe that Duquette inherited a winner. He took over in Nov of 2012. 2012 was playoff run.

Actually, he was hired in November of 2011.

-Erod is on the DL

Duquette took over in November of 2011.

Yep, I'm sure the ownership told Dan to trade for Para last year.

And to tender Matusz.

And the list goes on...

Trading 3 starting pitching prospects for 2 right-fielders, in the same year.......2 of the prospects are in the majors. Neither of the outfielders is in the organization anymore.

and the list goes on.....

-Erod is on the DL

Hired in 2011 and I don't believe we make the playoffs in 2012 without his moves to supplement what Andy had already done. Andy built a good base, but we needed depth and the finishing touches to do it.

Why let a little detail like that get in the way of some more Duquette bashing?

These people don't even know what the heck they are talking about, yet claim to know it all.

-Typo. My point stands. He took over at the end of 2011 and 2012 we were in the playoffs. I wonder how many moves he made in that off-season?

-Never claimed to know it all. Clown.

-With a name like TradeAngelos and your gonna call me out for BASHING? Really?

Duquette added the following in that offseason:

Chen' date=' Betemit, Hammel and Miggy[/quote']

Yes.

Chen, Gonzalez, and Hammel were all major contributors to the starting rotation in 2012, and all were acquired by Duquette.

Things DD can't do even if he wanted:

Give a SP an AAV of 20M or more

Give a SP 5 years or more

Spend large in International market

Pay a posting fee for Asian market

Include opt outs in contracts

Pay large for Cuban players

Spend on any possible health risk

Apply these limitations to the past off season and what options were left?

I am not so sure about some of these items. Just because they haven't ever happened yet doesn't mean that (1) this was dictated by Angelos or (2) they will never happen. We'd never had a 7 year, $150 mm contract for a position player before this winter, but it happened.

I don't believe that ownership currently takes such an assertive approach.

I strongly believe that Dan very much wants to win and is very willing to trade long term assets for what might short term improvements.

I would have to support your opinion. It's not about the process. It;s about the results.

I am not so sure about some of these items. Just because they haven't ever happened yet doesn't mean that (1) this was dictated by Angelos or (2) they will never happen. We'd never had a 7 year, $150 mm contract for a position player before this winter, but it happened.

Which ones? Be specific. I really don't think giving a hometown player a market rate contract is something that should be bragged about, nor has anything to do with Gordo's post. Really not that out of the ordinary. Or at last shouldn't be.

And instead of using hindsight, use some foresight and tell us which ones will be checked off the list in the near future.

Archived