13 of our final 72 games are against the Yankees

Frobby

The July 18-21 series

Gausman (1-6) vs. Nova (6-5, 5.18)

Worley (2-0) vs. Eovaldi (7-6, 5.11)

Gallardo (3-1) vs. Pineda (3-9, 5.56)

Tillman (13-2) vs. Sabathia (5-7, 3.94)

Nova has been pretty terrible for the last two months. He beat the Orioles on June 4 despite allowing 5 runs in 6 IP. Gausman has been just so-so in July, but has pitched well against the Yankees this year, allowing 1 run in 14 innings, but getting non-decisioned both times.

Pineda had a pretty good June, but has struggled in his two July starts. He has not faced the Orioles this year. Gallardo has been mediocre since returning from the DL and has not faced the Yankees this year.

Eovaldi was demoted to the bullpen after a poor July 1 start, and this will be his first start since then. On June 3, he allowed 5 runs against the O's in 5.1 IP. Worley has not started a game since April 15, but has been effective in relief. He had one relief stint against NY this year, allowing a run on 3 hits in 0.2 IP.

Sabathia was having a good season through mid-June, but has allowed 25 ER in 28.1 IP over his last five starts. He's been pretty deadly against the Orioles this year, shutting us out over 12 IP, though the last time he only lasted 5 IP due to a high pitch count in a game we eventually won. Tillman has been terrific in July after struggling in June. He's had two starts vs. NY, allowing 1 run in 7 IP the first time to earn the win, but allowing 5 runs in 5.2 IP the second time in a game the O's eventually won.

The Yankees rank 11th in runs scored per game, but have done a bit better in July. Gregorius, McCann and Headley have all been hot this month. The O's rank 3rd, but have been mildly cold in July, scoring fewer R/G than NY. The Orioles have the better bullpen ERA, but with O'Day still hurt and both Bundy and Worley out of the mix, could be vulnerable in the middle innings.

Overall, the O's need to get their bats going in this series and have the lead before the 7th inning, when the Yanks can throw Betances, Miller and Chapman at us. The Yankees rotation is not very good and we need to take advantage of it.

Relieved that they won today but very concerned they lost 3/4 to Yankees.

That's just a terrible team; it may cost the Os in the end if they don't get some help and find a way to beat the mediocre teams like Seattle and MFY

Very short handed this series with the flu, Kim's hamstring, and Wieters' foot.

Also, Adam Jones' back, Joey Rickard's right hand, and Yovani Gallardo's balls ...... I think he hurt his balls in between the 3rd and 4th inning of last night's game.

Relieved that they won today but very concerned they lost 3/4 to Yankees.

That's just a terrible team; it may cost the Os in the end if they don't get some help and find a way to beat the mediocre teams like Seattle and MFY

I'm frustrated by this week's losses as well, but 1) Terrible and mediocre teams aren't the same thing. The 2016 Yankees are not terrible. 2) I'm not too worried about the O's efforts against weaker teams. Yeah they've struggled against the Mariners and Yankees specifically (who are .500ish teams so far) but they've totally dominated the truly bad teams (23-7 against OAK, LAA, MIN, TBR, SDP).

I'm frustrated by this week's losses as well, but 1) Terrible and mediocre teams aren't the same thing. The 2016 Yankees are not terrible. 2) I'm not too worried about the O's efforts against weaker teams. Yeah they've struggled against the Mariners and Yankees specifically (who are .500ish teams so far) but they've totally dominated the truly bad teams (23-7 against OAK, LAA, MIN, TBR, SDP).

I get what you are saying, I just find it frustrating to lose to Mariners or MFY type mediocrity. Getting swept by the Astros, ok fine it's a talented team. I find Mariners and Yankees to be garbage and hopefully those losses don't hurt Os.

I get what you are saying, I just find it frustrating to lose to Mariners or MFY type mediocrity. Getting swept by the Astros, ok fine it's a talented team. I find Mariners and Yankees to be garbage and hopefully those losses don't hurt Os.

Wait til this weekend against Cleveland!

Archived